Thread: 223 to 338 federal rebarrel

Treeslayer

223 to 338 federal rebarrel

I have a savage 10 in 223 rem and was wanting to re barrel it. The 338 federal appeals to me for my hunting wants and needs and I have read conflicting info on other sight regarding this swap. I was thinking a bolt face, mag, and barrel would be needed. Also wondering if recoil lug would need to be upgraded (I figured it would). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You'll need the bolt head, magazine and barrel as you thought, and while you don't HAVE to replace the factory recoil lug it's pretty much a given to get an aftermarket one whenever you changing out the barrel. Just makes sense to do it then while you have it apart rather than to decide you want it later and have to pull it apart again. They're also relatively cheap so there's really no excuse not to.
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

Treeslayer
    Any suggestions on a good barrel? I don't need a heavy barrel but wouldn't mind one while I'm swapping. I would like to put a brake on it at some point preferably sooner than later. My budget isn't alot right now and I'm not trying for a match grade paper puncher!!

Quote Originally Posted by Treeslayer View Post
    Any suggestions on a good barrel? I don't need a heavy barrel but wouldn't mind one while I'm swapping. I would like to put a brake on it at some point preferably sooner than later. My budget isn't alot right now and I'm not trying for a match grade paper puncher!!
    An E.R. Shaw or Adams & Bennett (Midway USA) would be the cheapest two options but don't know if either offer a .338 Federal pre-fit. Maybe check with Lance at Gun Shack as he does a lot with E.R. Shaw. As for contour, for a hunting rifle I wouldn't bother with anything bitter than a medium-heavy contour, and honestly a sporter profile would suit you just fine. In terms of the brake, I would wait and see if you actually need one or not rather than getting one from the start. I'm not a big fan of them on hunting guns as they'll blast your ear drums out and I don't like wearing ear-plugs when I'm hunting as it prevents me from hearing what's going on around me (branches rustling, leaves crinkling, squirrel barks, etc.).

Treeslayer
    Thanks for the info. I was searching around and found a savage-barrels.com. Prices seem reasonable but I was wondering about the quality if anyone had used them before? $292 for a install ready 26" stainless varmint contour barrel seems good shipped and $13.50 for a stainless barrel nut! Now to find a bolt face, recoil lug, and a good stock. Any in put on stocks would be great and thanks for all the help so far! Two days of research was less productive than my first two hours as a member- that's saying alot!

great quality 90% of the time, sometimes delivery snafus. But to be honest most barrel makers are backed up
    Last edited by Blue Avenger; 09-26-2012 at 11:01 PM.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

You don't want to hear my opinion on McGowen barrels. I know some have had luck with them, but its a real crap shoot as their QC really seems to leave a lot to be desired.

Treeslayer
    I have heard that er shaw has had some problems with rough chambers and rifling. Some reviews are great for both manufactures but I don't want to end up the unlucky sap with the crap shoot barrel. I might wait on a shilen; it's the one manufacture I have not heard anything bad about besides turn around time. Somethings are worth waiting for like my two model '99's!! Thanks for all the input and when I get closer Im sure I'll have a few more questions. Thanks again for all the help!

stangfish
    I have heard that er shaw has had some problems with rough chambers and rifling. Some reviews are great for both manufactures but I don't want to end up the unlucky sap with the crap shoot barrel. I might wait on a shilen; it's the one manufacture I have not heard anything bad about besides turn around time.
    I have had god luck with them but I have also had to return a few for rework. Fine for hunting, after that go with any of the big names.

helotaxi
    Going from .223 to a .308 based cartridge is really going the hard way. You're almost better off from a cost perspective to sell the .223 rifle and buy a donor action with the correct bolt and magazine box and correctly cut magazine opening. Then all you need is a barrel. You'll likely come out ahead from a $$ perspective.

ellobo
    I would go with the suggestion that you go for a donor action with a bolt that has the proper bolt head size. I have had good luck with the Adams and Bennet barrels that some say are made by E R Shaw. Got them from Midway USA. Check their website. Do not put a muzzle brake on a hunting rifle shooting mid power cartridges. For excellent stocks for a hunting rifle check Boyds website. Drop in stocks for under $100, laminate and walnut.

El Lobo

Basic Member
    I disagree on the new rifle, UNLESS you want another one. I have a 223 that has been a 223, 243, 308, and is now a 223 again. Just reuse the parts. Once you have them it's easy to suit your whim. You'll have about half, or less the cost of a new rifle in it. Of course if you found a STEAL of a price on a 308 based rifle, that might be another story. I never do find those.

Cycler
    ? $292 for a install ready 26" stainless varmint contour barrel seems good shipped
    Think long and hard about that varmint weight barrel on a hunting rifle, particularly for a mid-range, mid-power round like a .338 Federal. That barrel will be HEAVY to tote around in the woods all day. I'd get a sporter weight or, at most, a magnum contour barrel and no more than 24".

helotaxi
    The .338 bore pretty much dictates a magnum sporter contour.