Thread: New Stevens 308 - Need info on aftermarket triggers for hunting

Basic Member

New Stevens 308 - Need info on aftermarket triggers for hunting

I'm getting my new Stevens 308 set up for hunting and just measured the trigger pull. Six pounds with plenty of creep. Yikes. I was going to wait until after hunting season for the new trigger but I'm reconsidering.

So in doing plenty of research I've discovered a few things.
    1. You don't hone the trigger because it's sintered metal.
    2. The new Stevens triggers are like the axis in design. I have verified this myself after reading it. I don't know if this affects the aftermarket triggers that were made for the "old" style Savage triggers.
    3. I will have to buy an aftermarket trigger in order to be satisfied.

I like my hunting triggers to be somewhere between 2.5 and 3.0 lbs. I once had a gun that had a 4 lb. trigger but broke very, very clean. It was OK for me, but if I had the ability, I would rather it be down to around 3 lbs. and no less than 2.5 lbs. The most important thing for me is NO CREEP. Seriously, the highest priority for me is a clean break. My Rem 700 breaks at about 2.75 lbs. and it is plenty light enough for me.

From what I can tell, my practical options are SSS, Timney and Rifle Basix; not necessarily in that order. I have read both positive and negative feedback about all, but no technical reasons for any of it. SSS might not be available, at least not until the middle of October.

Given all this, what would you recommend for the nicest and safest?

Basic Member
    Spring wire and grease.

Team Savage
    I like the SSS the best ,but for a hunting trigger
    I would use the RB1

drybean

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    You guys that are using aftermarket triggers, just how much different / better do they make the trigger pull?

I 'spose my reason for asking is the times I've thought about replacing one, I seem to stall when I get to the price part..... For what you have to spend, is it worth the money? Does it make that much difference?

How about the install.... Are they a true "drop in" set up? Or is it drop in after removing stock material, trim a little, cut a little....

Curiosity prevails today, i guess.....

Thanks.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

I have 2 sav 2's and they are basically a drop in.They send a nice dvd with easy to follow instructions.I have a couple sss that are down under a pound.The rifle basix adjusts the poundage easier.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm0812 View Post
    Spring wire and grease.
    Sorry, that is incorrect. There is no longer a spring wire. This is a different trigger. Google "axis trigger" and see what I mean. This is why I'm not even sure if the aftermarket triggers are still a drop in replacement or not.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Axis trigger & Edge trigger are supposed to be the same in which you can cut a few coils off the spring & loosen the pull quite a bit. I had one that was quite stout. After removing 3 or 4 coils (don't recall) it was real nice & smooth. A very light pull & it released.

2 pair of small long nose pliers, a pair of cutters & a good grip. Cut them out 1 at a time so you don't take out too many. I think there's an article about that on this site somewhere...
    Gotta sign off for a bit......

Lightning. And I really hate lightning.

Frank in FLa
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

M.O.A.
    The Stevens triggers are not the same as the axis triggers

Anyway I have the rifle basix trigger for my Stevens and its great for a hunting rifle nice light and crisp with no creep at all and no over pull.

Best $100 i ever spent !!!

stangfish
    You can hone the seer, just not on the trigger side. Most people will end up with a step if they dont have the three screw because of the relief. I try to square it up a bit. Some may disagree but I have a few impressive 1 scew triggers triggers. With the correct polishing, you don't need to change the spring for a hunting trigger and it is much safer due to the preload requirements. Don't get me wrong, a .040 helps bu when you surfaces are smooth you are cooking with gas.

Basic Member
    OK, here is the "new" Stevens trigger. I don't know if it's exactly like an axis, but it sure doesn't use the wire spring anymore.

What do you think?
    Last edited by JWK1; 10-05-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Basic Member
    get the RifleBasix sav-1 you can't go wrong! it will give you wha t you want and is priced reasonable. easy installation and good instructions.

Tom Bear
    I installed the Timney in my .223. Good trigger, easy install. Good price.