Thread: Savage Sierra 7mm08

Savage Sierra 7mm08

Looked at one of these at my friends shop today. Whats up with the Sierra on the bolt? is it something special? Its an older savage, flat back. Could I be safe to say 1/9.5 twist on this? Any info would be great

Basically it's a Model 11 that was made as part of a special run for a major distributor or retailer. You'll find there are some that say "Savage 4x4" or "Sierra" or a few other oddities that I can't recall off the top of my head that have been made over the years. If dealers/retailers place a big enough order they can pretty much get any combination made that they want so long as it's comprised from off-the-shelf standard parts. There are even some distributors who will go all out and have their own customs stocks made (Talo Industries and their "Shark" stocks is a perfect example) and mate them to a standard Savage barreled action. Others (like Jerry's) might stick with a standard model with a laminate stock, but just request a different laminate color pattern be used (aka the "jakaranda" color BTV centerfire and rimfire models a few years ago).
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

Thanks for the info

Do you think its fair to say because of the flat rear its the better 1/9.5 twist?

I honestly couldn't tell ya on that one. The flat-back actions disappeared in 2002-2003 when Savage introduced the AccuTrigger, so all I can say is that it's older than that. When they changed the twist rate on the 7mm-08 barrels I don't know.
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by tjf76 View Post
    Thanks for the info

Do you think its fair to say because of the flat rear its the better 1/9.5 twist?
    Only way to be certain is to take a cleaning rod and a tight fitting patch and measure it yourself. It's easy to do.

Basic Member
    I picked up an FM Sierra early this year for a build, just wanted the action...
    While waiting for a barrel I couldn't resist playing...**** if that stubby factory 20" barrel wouldn't put all five 150 gr. SMK's with all holes touching at 100 yards (H4350, 2600 fps)
    I don't hunt- but if I were looking for a lightweight (6 lbs if memory serves) mountain rifle I'd snatch it in a heartbeat.

It is a sweet rifle with the 20' barrel. Think I will go check the twist rate tomorrow. As long as its a 1/9.5 I think it may come home with me.