Thread: Suggestions for good quality 7mm'08 heavy sporter needed

Basic Member

Suggestions for good quality 7mm'08 heavy sporter needed

I'll be hunting with my new Stevens in 308 this fall, but my plan is to get a 7mm'08 barrel for it after hunting season. I don't see a lot of options (if any) for a decent sporting type barrel. I would prefer something like EA Brown calls "magnum contour". I don't know if this is a Savage term or not. I'm also looking for something that doesn't have the typical oversized chamber. I find Remington and Savage to both have very "generous" chamber dimensions. I reload and would prefer to keep resizing to a minimum.

Hey, maybe there's nothing but factory chambers and match grade out there. I don't know. That's why I'm asking here. Anyone have any suggestions?

Basic Member
    try Jim at Nothland Shooters Supply, he has 7mm-08 listed in heavy sporter.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    3 weeks ago I picked up a Savage Factory sporter for $50 with shipping & it shoots excellent. The color isn't exactly what i wanted but I change barrels on regular occasion. I probably won't have it on there long enough to complain about it. Keep an eyeball on the classifieds. You may score something there.

Have a look in the "Axis / Edge" thread at the post I put up saying ->3 Reasons Why I Like My New 7-08 Edge<- There's a few pics of the rifle & the end result....

Good luck & happy barrel hunting.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

va78
    Stockade.stocks.would.be.a good guy to talk to.. He has smithed many bad ass rifles with a stevens action

Basic Member
    You really need to talk with Jim at Nothland Shooters Supplies as mentioned before. His number is (763) 682-4296. His reputation, customer service and knowledge are 2nd to none. That being the case, he is also pretty busy, you may need to call a cple times and/or leave a message.

va78
    2nd to none? he is good no doubt but there are so many others.. Look around at other forums. Seems on this forum jim is god....dont be easily pursuaded by a very biased forum..jim is outstanding to work with but dont keep your blinders on..

Basic Member
    That's fair- no-one can make everyone happy all the time. FWIW I've had quite a few dealings with Jim at Northland, Kevin at Stockade and the folks at SSS. After more money and time than I care to admit I decided to never deal with SSS again. They have a pseudo great rep on this site, and ppl get blasted for saying anything even slightly critical about them but in the interest of full disclosure every single dealing that I had with them was a debacle. Its my own fault that I chased so much bad money with good, I blame no-one but myself. Kevin Rayhill has been great to deal with, very up front and honest, a craftsman with warranted pride in his work. I've said what I will about Jim, if I need a product he offers I buy it from him, every time. Sin Arms is another option and Devin has a great rep but I've never dealt with him personally. Best of luck whichever way you choose to go, Matt.
    Last edited by mattri; 10-12-2012 at 06:23 PM.

va78
    I agree..sharp shooter supply is thee worst service i have come across.. the quality of work and attention to detail absolutly sucks. I will never reccomend him to anybody....Ever!!!!!!!