Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why magazines?

Why magazines?

Many of you know I'm a newbie and the trials and tribulations I've encountered in my first dabbling in the bolt-action world.

I see many people wanting to go to higher capacity, semi-auto style magazines--and I totally don't get this. I come from the AR world, where a high capacity mag makes sense--but what little I've learned about these Axis guns is that they are not meant to generate heat--and, at least for the bigger caliber ones, there is much movement in the gun from recoil I don't see the purpose/need for a quick reload. When I go out on the range with my Axis rifles I generally single-shot hand-feed each round into the chamber.

rattfink
    1. Its tacticool. Like cars, houses, boats, motorcycles, people want what's sexy for their firearms. Its a hobby so why not?
    2. Some folks may like to be able to carry a full load, and be able to quickly unload their rifle completely without a bunch of loose rounds.
    3. I have shot competitive courses that involved rapid fire in small numbers with a reload. This sort of shooting is challenging and lots of fun. Check out the Swiss rifle course of fire sometime. Rapid fire with reloads in bolt guns on a cammo target at 200 yards IRC.
    4. Maybe if I was hunting I would prefer to carry a magazine or two (Maybe with two types of ammo) as I walked in and then quickly and easily made ready when I get to my area/ blind etc.

There is no accounting for personal taste.

I understand maybe a few shots--but high capacity I don't.

Me neither. To each his own.

Basic Member
    If all you're doing is punching paper, then there's no need.

Basic Member
    To me it adds balance to the rifle. Offsets weight of the scope giving a lower center. 10 rounds is plenty for me no idea what a 17-20 is sposed to give ya. Can't say I'd want to carry that all day. To many I'm sure it just adds to the tactical/zombie killer look of the rifle. I like the idea of a few extra rounds in a hunting/scout type rifle. Haven't done this to my Axis yet but plan for it as a winter project. Why? The challenge? The entertainment value? Makes me happy thats all that matters.
    [QUOTE=scope eye;271337]the most I have been able to fit is 90gr of H4895.[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    The only reason I see to have an extended magazine is if you have a BAR mag (Frank)

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm0812 View Post
    ...then there's no need.

(Said with a smile...) If "need" were a requirement, Savage rifles would have gone out of business years ago!
    Last edited by thomae; 09-25-2012 at 01:53 PM.

rattfink
    If all you're doing is punching paper, then there's no need.
    But little downside to the added capability either. Just more rounds down range with fewer stops to refill mags. Its a matter of taste as far as I see it.
    I will add I don't want anyone telling me I can't.

I'm not suggesting nobody should do it--I just didn't understand and wanted to know why--I'm just learning.

seanhagerty
    I can see me wanting to adapt an AR style mag to my 223 bolt gun for PD shoots.

Speaking of that, has anyone done this?? Care to give me some hints?

M.O.A.
    For a p-dog gun it sous be great

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rattfink View Post
    But little downside to the added capability either. Just more rounds down range with fewer stops to refill mags. Its a matter of taste as far as I see it.
    I will add I don't want anyone telling me I can't.
    With my stock savage pencil barrel, I can only shoot about 3 maybe 4 rounds until I have to take a break so the barrel can cool down. And that's taking single shots with at least 30 seconds before each load.

rattfink
    With my stock savage pencil barrel, I can only shoot about 3 maybe 4 rounds until I have to take a break so the barrel can cool down. And that's taking single shots with at least 30 seconds before each load.
    But the easy loading, unloading is still nice IMO.
    Honestly, I don't see it as very important on bolt guns. But given my choice, I would choose a magazine. Its an added feature that may or may not be advantageous some day, with no real downside.

Westcliffe01
    So lets get this straight: What is your opinion of "High Capacity" ?

Is it my model 10's 5 round magazine (223)
    Or my Model 12's 3 round capacity (243)
    or my 220's 2 round magazine (20ga) ?

The fact of the matter is that sometimes one appreciates being able to carry 5-10 rounds in a magazine and finds their bolt gun more reliable and kinder to brass than an AR type rifle. Coyote hunters out west who have lots of shooting opportunities don't want to be limited to 2 or 3 rounds in a magazine. If shooting at 250+ yards, especially after the first shot, then you need more ammo.

Now once one goes over 10 rounds, then in my opinion the handling, ergonomics and weight impact are all negative. But up to 10 rounds (if available) can be completely practical. And 5 rounds in a coyote gun is basically a prerequisite if 2 or 3 dogs come in to a call. There will be no time for single loading on running dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    Many of you know I'm a newbie and the trials and tribulations I've encountered in my first dabbling in the bolt-action world.

I see many people wanting to go to higher capacity, semi-auto style magazines--and I totally don't get this. I come from the AR world, where a high capacity mag makes sense--but what little I've learned about these Axis guns is that they are not meant to generate heat--and, at least for the bigger caliber ones, there is much movement in the gun from recoil I don't see the purpose/need for a quick reload. When I go out on the range with my Axis rifles I generally single-shot hand-feed each round into the chamber.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Why magazines?, you ask....

Why indeed.

For me it comes down to - I'd rather have & not need than need & not have...

You just never know.

Frank in Fla.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Why magazines? Because nobody has come out with a belt feed conversion yet.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Really depends on the end-use of the rifle....

Tactical Rig - 10 rounds at most. Anything more and the mag will be so long it will affect prone shooting.
    Varmint Rig - No need for more than 5 rounds in a bolt gun. If you need more than 5 shots you should be carrying an AR.
    Hunting Rifle - 3 to 5 rounds depending on cartridge. Important thing (to me) is a flush or near flush magazine that isn't going to get caught up or snag on things. Detachable mag is preferred for the convenience of quick/easy loading and unloading for transport or crossing obstacles (fences and such)
    Bench/Target Rig - Most prefer single-shot, and will hand-feed even when the rifle has a magazine of any type.
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Really depends on the end-use of the rifle....

Tactical Rig - 10 rounds at most. Anything more and the mag will be so long it will affect prone shooting.
    Varmint Rig - No need for more than 5 rounds in a bolt gun. If you need more than 5 shots you should be carrying an AR.
    Hunting Rifle - 3 to 5 rounds depending on cartridge. Important thing (to me) is a flush or near flush magazine that isn't going to get caught up or snag on things. Detachable mag is preferred for the convenience of quick/easy loading and unloading for transport or crossing obstacles (fences and such)
    Bench/Target Rig - Most prefer single-shot, and will hand-feed even when the rifle has a magazine of any type.
    Thanks for that--a general guidelines for mag sizes that even I can understand. : )

kevin_stevens
    "Hunting Rifle - 3 to 5 rounds depending on cartridge. Important thing (to me) is a flush or near flush magazine that isn't going to get caught up or snag on things. Detachable mag is preferred for the convenience of quick/easy loading and unloading for transport or crossing obstacles (fences and such)"
    +1 on this. My primary hunting rifle is a Browning A-Bolt, and the removable flush magazine ends up being incredibly handy. Ease of unloading, an easier way to top off the mag than top-loading around the scope, a second magazine instead of carrying loose spare rounds or a cartridge wallet - very handy even though it doesn't hold any more than a blind magazine well.

KeS

Elteyr
    Quote Originally Posted by seanhagerty View Post
    I can see me wanting to adapt an AR style mag to my 223 bolt gun for PD shoots.

Speaking of that, has anyone done this?? Care to give me some hints?
    I originally wanted to mod my axis to take a AR mag catch so that I could use AR mags with it. but I was shown that the action isn't compatible with the AR mag, however the mini14 / M14 mag is compatable

Elteyr
    Why a high capacity mag? well for me, its not that I need it, but its that I would like the option to. Having uncle sam teach me how to shoot, I got used to the 10 rnd .308, and when I got an axis as a gift, and i found how well it shot, it still didn't feel right to not have that 10 rnd mag. so i guess for me its feeling comfortable and familiarity.
    Last edited by Admin; 10-02-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Because we have enough comedians around here already

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Wwwaaaaayyyyy waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy way too much info there, slick.

Although, now that you mention it....
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Team Savage
    WOW!! TMI

drybean

Elteyr
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha lmao!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast