Thread: Savage ported barrel question

stevena198301

Savage ported barrel question

Hello all,

New to the forum. Wanted to ask a quick question about a rifle I have owned for about 16 years now. I received a Savage 110 topped with a Bausch & Lomb Elite 3000 when I was 14, to use as my first deer rifle. It was bought used from a pawn shop by my mother. My girlfriend is now it's proud owner as I have quit deer hunting. I have seen many Savage 110/111, etc. since then, but never one like this one. The last 2 inches of barrel are ported. The ports don't go front or backwards, just straight out. Inside the barrel, where the ports are, the inside diameter is larger than the rest of the barrel. The very end of the barrel is necked back down to the original .270.

Could this be factory, or was it done aftermarket? The barrel looks like any other Savage barrel other than that. The gun has held up well over the years and has killed many deer. It is by far the absolute loudest .270 I have ever heard, but it has hardly any kick to it.

Just wondering if anyone had any info or opinions or knew if these were ever ported from the factory. Thanks.

Basic Member
    That is an "integrated" break. If its inner diameter is larger than bore, but the actual exit isnt.. its been threaded on, and very well blended. I bet you'll find that those ports do point slightly back. There are several gunsmiths that do this, including counter boring..

Basic Member
    If it's threaded on and blended, it's not integrated, it just the same size as the barrel diameter. If it was integrated it would be machined into the barrel. Chances are the exit hole at the muzzle is larger than .277". Years ago a few outfits offered these ported barrel recoil reducing services, but they proved to be very ineffective.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    If it's threaded on and blended, it's not integrated, it just the same size as the barrel diameter. If it was integrated it would be machined into the barrel. Chances are the exit hole at the muzzle is larger than .277". Years ago a few outfits offered these ported barrel recoil reducing services, but they proved to be very ineffective.
    That would be why I put integrated in quotes. There are still several companies doing these breaks. But either way, its a break, regardless of the symantecs.

Basic Member
    It's not a break, any way you look at it. It's a BRAKE...there is a difference.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."