Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you continue to experiment with loads ?

acemisser

Dan--Maybe you should have used that 222 today....Myself,I think it went too fast..But I didn't have to shoot
    that fast..The rain and wind made it a fun shoot though..

Yeah, John it was a fun shoot today and everyone did well.

Here's a pic of how I made my dead length seating die, and custom honed seating plug to seat closer to the orgive getting me within .001 base to orgive. This way I don't have to be as consistent with how much pressure I'm putting on the press handle.

acemisser
    Does your shell holder go through the spacer? It looks like it does.?

acemisser
    ok I see how your doing it.Great idea..I think I told you a friend of mine makes bushings that
    go in the die and rest on the ogive of the bullet...Maybe next shoot I will shoot my 08 again..

Luckus
    I just redid my 257AI and 120 gr load. I had a box of 120 Nosler pt I thought I would use for Elk this fall. Trouble is by the time I found a load that shot them good enough I had 9 left. I went back to my old standby 120 Hornady hp and tried four loads, all of them were at 1" or less. 46 gr of WW760 gave the best velocity and 3 shot 100 yard groups of 8 tenths.

helotaxi
    Life at the loading bench would be pretty boring if I wasn't constantly messing with different loads. Heck, I can't decide on a bullet, much less a load for that bullet.

My bulk .223 load with a 55gn FMJ is the only exception. It's only goal it to be "good enough" and simple and cheap to load.

acemisser
    reloading is such fun..One never knows what he might discover...

The only thing that really seems to really **** me off is when I want to do some accuracy testing the weather is absolutely terrible for days and days and I just look at the rounds I've created wondering how they'll do.

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    The only thing that really seems to really **** me off is when I want to do some accuracy testing the weather is absolutely terrible for days and days and I just look at the rounds I've created wondering how they'll do.
    Dan--Do like I do and go shot anyway...I sometimes go down when the wind is blowing to see how much effect it is going
    to have on the loads. You have already shot in the rain,lol. After reading all the replies I got on the 30 br questions I think I am more confused now than befor...I am starting to think the web is not a very good place to be asking questions...I mean I know there are some guys that have a great knowledge and others I think are telling you what they have heard..Not from their own expericence..It is **** tough to sort it all out..

rusty815
    Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
    Life at the loading bench would be pretty boring if I wasn't constantly messing with different loads. Heck, I can't decide on a bullet, much less a load for that bullet.

My bulk .223 load with a 55gn FMJ is the only exception. It's only goal it to be "good enough" and simple and cheap to load.
    I feel the same way, I've been doing nothing but testing and fine tuning loads since I started reloading, I haven't come upon a load that strikes me as amazing yet. Right now on my 300WSM I am working with four bullets, the 208gr. AMAX, 230gr. Berger OTM, and the 200gr. and 175gr. Barnes LRX, all perform well but I can't find one that I like over the other, so I keep testing em, and it goes on and on. Don't even get me started on the 284, I haven't even started loading for it and I already have 3 different bullets on hand.

acemisser
    all I can say is keep at it and it will come together for you sometime..

Basic Member
    I try and find a load with as few of shots as possible, so I can spend more time shooting and learning to read the wind. I do a 300+ yard ladder test first to determine max load and will usually find a low and high node during this process. I then fine tune that by loading in .2 gr increments for the nodes that were found during the ladder test and shoot them OCW style at 100 yards. This never fails to produce a load that will group good at both short and long distance.

Basic Member
    Until I can shoot one hole groups that only a bullet will go thru I'll keep testing. I welded up a portable reloading rig that goes to the cow pasture with me and I've found no better way to waste a day.
    VLP 22-250<br />VLP 243<br />Stevens 25-06<br />Stevens 308, now a 6Norma BR with Criterion bull and Bobby Hart LRT<br />Savage Model 10 243<br />93R 17HMR<br />an old Savage model 5 22 tube feed bolt action<br /><br />And they all shoot great.<br />Also several off-brand stuff

acemisser
    your not wasteing your day..Your creating memories for yourself...I like the idea...

acemisser
    Missed you at the match today...I beat out that fellow with the 6mmBR using my 22-250 as well....I was the second place winner..Man was it windy..Blowing right to left and then switching back again...I had a 196 16 v's ...Maybe see you at the next one..

acemisser
    I guess it pays to practice on windy days..

had a fun time Scott did not shoot..???????????
    Last edited by acemisser; 10-21-2012 at 03:20 PM.

helotaxi
    If that's what chaps your rear, you clearly haven't had a truly bad day at the range. Like a day where all those loads that you're itching to shoot end up patterning like a shotgun rather than grouping like a rifle.

Basic Member
    This IS a Savage forum. When I find a great load, I buy a new barrel in a new caliber and start over :)

FUBAR
    If one loves shooting, barrels are almost always cheaper than bullets! Now I have some rifles that I would never shoot the barrel out of, but they are the exception...

With so many bullet/powder combos how can anyone stop?

However when I find a keeper, I always load up a mess of them for hunting, and for me it's more about the hunting--Although I sure like putting that bullet in a pigs ear at 400 yards!

acemisser
    However when I find a keeper, I always load up a mess of them for hunting, and for me it's more about the hunting--Although I sure like putting that bullet in a pigs ear at 400 yards!

thats **** good shootin I would say..

That's a great score you posted over there John, I prolly won't be back till next spring, I've been tinkerimg with the 168SMK's again exploring over book max at 46.5 Vartget no pressure signs. Yeah wonder why Scott didn't shoot?

FUBAR
    Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post

thats **** good shootin I would say..
    Well not always the case, but the rifle can do it no problem, and I get lucky occasionally....

acemisser
    That's a great score you posted over there John, I prolly won't be back till next spring, I've been tinkerimg with the 168SMK's again exploring over book max at 46.5 Vartget no pressure signs. Yeah wonder why Scott didn't shoot?
    He was playing around with an old 303 British for some reason.Also he said he didn't have the money for powder or bullets...

small group of shooters anyway.......Well,I guess we will have to name you woodchuck then...see you in the spring......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12