Thread: 99 side mount

Basic Member

99 side mount

Just on gunbroker checking out 99s.
    A couple with beutifull engraving.
    Just wondering.
    Does anyone else get really upset when they see a 99 with one of those side mount scope mounts with the dozen holes drilled into the receiver ?
    There should have been a law against those when they came out.
    My 2 cents
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

375Win
    That's just about like saying there should be a law about threading a rifle barrel for a break or can, putting an after market barrel on or changing out the trigger. When those mods were made to 99's they were working guns and the owners were just trying to make them into a better rifle. Hell I'm as guilty as anyone, I have a Rem 600 in 223(never catalogged, 350 made) bought it brand new and had the rib removed and stock reshaped, still have it and love it the way it is and don't plan on getting rid of it. I bought a 99 in 375 Win brand new for $150 because nobody wanted them and there was a glut of them on the market. I had the forend and wrist slimmed and stock shortenned to fit me, in 50yrs someone might whine about what was done to a collectable rifle, I don't care, it works for me and I don't plan on getting rid of it.

The mods people made to there rifles is what makes 99 collecting so intresting and so rewarding when you find a pristine one.

Those side mounts were very practicle in there day, it was about the only way a swing away mount could be attached reasonable and remember this was in a time when the scope was not the proven reliable optic we have today. It was in an era when men were still open sight oriented and wanted to be able to use there open sights in certian situation.
    Last edited by 375Win; 09-26-2012 at 11:44 AM.