Thread: Single shot follower

308law

Single shot follower

I have a Model 12 VLP DBM. My Hunting buddy bought the Model 12 BTCSS. Both of these rifles have the detachable magazine, they are both 223's. We both hate these magazines, they are hard to extract, hard to load, really hard to get seated again, and hard to load from the top one at a time. We are both considering switching back to Remington's or older staggered feed Savages. We both like these rifles a lot except for these mags. Does anybody else have a problem with these? I have looked at the Single shot followers from SSS, but I'm not sure if these will help. The feed lips are in the stock so any mod made to the magazine will have to go under the feed lips, it still looks like a pain to load from the top. Has anybody used these to solve this problem? Are the larger bolt face cartridges any easier to use, like the 22-250?

lwink

Re: Single shot follower

The SSS follower actually sits right in the bottom of the receiver, you have to pull the mag box out (very easy) and it will sit flush in the bottom of your action -- no more feed lips anywhere! These things are really nice, and it's amazing how smoothly they feed any shell into the chamber. If you are ok with single shots I HIGHLY recommend the SSS follower. That being said, the old stagger feeds are a bit easier to load for many, but for good gosh sakes don't get a Remington!!

82boy

Why not get a "Fred Sled ?" SSS just started making these single shot adapters that click right into the magazine well. If you want to go back to your magazine all you have to do is hit the magazine release bottom, let the Fred Sled fall out, and insert your magazine. It dont get better than that.
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,27097.0.html

308law

That looks like it might be perfect, thanks we will have to try that.