Thread: Article: What model 99 do I have?

Article: What model 99 do I have?

Savage- "never say never".

Lots of information here as well.

http://savage99.com

Aardvark
    If time permits, I would love to ask some pointed questions about the article, "What model 99 do I have". I will make myself available anytime you can spare a few minutes. I really got a lot from the article. There were some points that I was not able to confirm and would like to talk about those items. If you give me a date, time and phone number, I would be glad to make the call. George Ruhmann, aardvark@fix.net, (507) 247-3451.
    Thanks, George

vtnfa
    Just found this forum post while trying to figure out what Model 99 I just acquired. From everything I have found here, and elsewhere, as well as Murray's book, it's a 99T. It has every characteristic described here and is also a .250-3000. It has a Marbles tang sight and a folding leaf rear Marble's sight installed. But it sure sounds like a T. If I can figure out photo posting I will do so. It is in about 98+% condition.

whtbridge
    I am stumped on the model 99 I just purchased. The barrel markings are:
    Savage Model 99E
    Series A
    Westfield Mass
    300 Savage
    simple checkered stock, pistol grip, can't tell if it is walnut
    22" barrel
    Serial No. C754424
    I was wondering what the date of manufacture was. It does not seem to fit in to the serial range in the article description of the "99E's"
    Thanks

kev107
    can anyone tell me anything about a 99M serial # 1090xxx?
    Last edited by kev107; 08-23-2015 at 06:59 PM.

Basic Member
    Savage 99's (and other Savage firearms), made from 1949 thru 1970, had a Letter Date Code stamped into the receiver bottom ( just ahead of the Model 99's lever), and is often seen referred to on Model 99's as the "Lever Boss Code" (LBC).

The Letter "A" started off 1949, "B" in 1950, etc, etc, etc - all denoting the year of manufacture.

(the letters "O" & "Q" were not used.)

Last edited by PetahW; 04-24-2016 at 11:05 PM.

hitnrun
    Hello, I have a Savage model 99 22 H.P. and already confirmed the serial number as being a 1912 manufactured gun. The serial number is 120102. There is no letter designation on the gun anywhere I can see. Can you help me identify which one I have?

herzogpawn
    Hope someone can help me. What model do I have? I have a savage 99 303 lever action 20-inch barrel half octagon half round barrel. No saddle ring does have a load indicator, 26.xxx ser #.

Guys, this thread is NOT to ask questions like this, it's to comment on the article itself. Such questions should be posted in the Vintage Centerfire Rifles board.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

This article is gold. Know I know more about my E and CD 308's. Thanks!

Thank you for this comprehensive summary. I now know my recently acquired 99A Model EG 308 serial # 991,,, is form the mid 60's. I will now work on gewtting a period correct peep sight and see how well I can fine tune this light, quick to point brush gun. Hope it shoots Sierra SPT 200 grain bullets tight with a charge of Varget nearing 36-37 grains.
    Last edited by NAPOOLS; 02-06-2021 at 11:06 AM. Reason: correct grains and bullet type

Hi I have a 21B savage rear sight that is missing the leaf spring on the underside. Would you have any idea where I could get one. I'm in New Brunswick jcmartin9@outlook.com

Thanks for this article! It was very informative in helping me identify my 99 although now i have even more questions. Appreciate all the effort that were put into these articles!

Thank you for this wonderful article!
    I am the proud owner of an Model 99 RS inherited from my 80+ y/o Step Father.
    It is in immaculate original condition.... including the leather sling.
    The case hardened lever action is a thing of pure beauty.
    IMHO the .300 Savage is a superior cambering to ANYTHING offered today.