Thread: Model 111, Left Handed, 338 Win Mag

gearchecker

Model 111, Left Handed, 338 Win Mag

I'm a lefty and I just traded for a Savage 111 in 338 Win Mag.
    I shoot 30-06 and 308 regularly, and got it mostly because it a left handled rifle. Used left handed rifles don't show up very often for obvious reasons. It's in really great condition and it came with plenty of extras in the deal too. My intent is to use it for my Elk rifle out here in north Idaho. I've been told it's a bit much for deer, including Mulies. But I've also heard it a really good long range shooter which would be well suited for hunting Mule deer out at 400-500 yds. I recently broke my left hand, so hunting this year is out of the question according to the doctor that worked on it.

So, what's the word on it? I'm looking forward to your responses.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Last edited by gearchecker; 09-23-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Your '06 is plenty powerful for anything you state above. The 338 isn't fun to practice with, you'll develop a flinch and be less accurate.
    Shot placement is the key. Mule deer at 400 yards.... well my little 7mm-08 will do that. I won't because I like stalking to less than 200 yards. No trees here in SW ND so no cover isn't a valid reason for a cannon.
    Save the cannon for dangerous game like a bear.

Basic Member
    I have a 116 in 338 win mag and I do not find the recoil to be excessive compared to my 30-06. I did most of my load work off a lead sled to limit recoil and reduce flinch. When I shoot any gun at game I never notice the recoil. For deer size game I use 185 grain Gmx bullets at around 3100fps.

Basic Member
    I have a 116 and also a Ruger M77 MKII in 338 win mag and love them both. The recoil is a bit stout but with a lead sled it is more than manageable. I still don't want to shoot them all day, but to sight them in and a few practice shots it isn't bad at all.As whit said, you won't notice it when shooting at game.

gearchecker
    "The 338 isn't fun to practice with, you'll develop a flinch and be less accurate."
    One thing you all should know is that I don't flinch when shooting any firearm. I've fired most calibers up to and including the 50 BMG in a body punishing Vulcan bolt rifle. I was trained to shoot without flinching so I can always see the bullet impact. Mt training included me telling my spotter where the bullet impacted as quickly as possible after the shot. I've trained my wife to be able to do the same. she can shoot a S&W Model 29, 44 mag at 25 yds and tell me exactly where the bullets impacts within a second after the shot. She regularly carries a Model 66 in 357 Mag with full house loads as her woods carry gun. I have no concerns about her using it for her self defense gun. It takes practice, but shooting without flinching can be done easily, with discipline.

If this isn't any harder to shoot than a Model 70 Super Express in 375 H&H that I used to have, I won't have any trouble with this one either.
    I appreciate all the input.

Regards,
    Gearchecker

You are right, being left-handed has its challenges especially when it comes to rifles. That was the first reason I was drawn to Savage many years ago because they had a larger caliber selection than the other manufacturers. I had drifted to TC Encores for a while but now have come back to Savage. I've built up a long range target rifle out of my old model 16 in 260 Remington. It weighs 13.5 lbs but is a blast to shot. I also found an older model 11 in 300WSM on another site for $350 including a scope. I took it to the range and it shot 10" circles so the scope when in the garbage and I put a Bushnell 6500 2.5-16X42 on it, SS trigger, bedded the action, corrected the head space, and a new paint job just because. Now it shoots 3/4" groups with 165gr Accubonds. My new project is a 338 Federal from another model 11 I picked up on GunBroker. Ordered a McGowen barrel but I won't see it until November. I pistol hunt with a 338 Federal and thought it would make a nice set. I took a mule deer in Utah with it two years ago at 170 yards. Very impressive round.
    Good luck with your 338WM and good shooting...
    Last edited by WV338; 09-23-2012 at 02:42 PM.
    355th TFW

criticalbass
    Gearchecker, the .338 will probably produce more felt recoil than your .375. I think this is largely due to the smaller case mouth relative to the case diameter--one of my gunsmiths calls it the "jet effect." I don't think it'll be a lot more, and it sounds like you are not recoil sensitive. My Model 70 .338 WM kicked a good bit harder than my Whitworth .375 H%H does.

gearchecker
    When it comes to recoil I guess I take it for what it's worth. So far I haven't found anything that's made me want to call it quits from the recoil.
    My gunsmith has a couple of 50 BMG rifles and I just love to shoot them whenever I can get the chance. He has around 1,000 rounds of ammo reloaded at any given moment, so he let's me shoot them pretty much anytime I want to. I pay him the $4 a round he sells them for, so he's happy when it's all over. I just love shooting the big iron. Now don't get me wrong, both of those canons kick like a Tennessee Mule, but it's so cool to watch the ground explode after the bullet has gone thru the targets when it hits the backstop. He has some AP bullets he's loaded and they're downright amazing when they hit something solid. I fully expect to get a pretty strong kick form the 338 without any doubt.

when I started the thread, I guess I was asking more about how the bullet trajectory is and what kind of stopping power and collateral damage I should expect with it. Belted ammo has a pretty bad reputation for strong recoil for the most part, so I've come to expect that.

I appreciate the candor in the discussions here, and I hope to learn more as I go along.

Regards,
    Gearchecker

lefteyedom
    I have a 116 LH in 338 win mag with a VII Leupold 3X9X40 . Great Gun!! I have taken Antelope, white and mule deer nicely. Use 225 grn bullets and have fun.

larrys1911
    Personally I dont think the 50BMG has punishing recoil at all....... The blast from the thing is punishing as hell though.

I have a LH savage syn stocked 338 win mag that weighs 7.5lbs with scope and kicks like a freakin mule. Itll shoot 1.25 all day (if thats how long it takes you to shoot 20rounds) with about anything ive shot threw it and has gone .75 with stuff it likes but I added 2.75lbs to the buttstock and I dont shoot it alot even then.

I will also say that the recoil at 10.25 lbs is about like my 110 8lb 30-06.... its not comfortable off the bench but its not a killer.
    Ive got a 11lb 300 Win mag that I would rather shoot than either of them off a bench.

as far as long range I think there are better rounds but its not a bad choice.

Larry