Thread: push bolt all the way down and get bang

lrpv-shooter

push bolt all the way down and get bang

Have two pta rifles and one of them will go off when bolt is pushed all the way down...

older side bolt release? That is also the sear.
    Is it dragging on the side of the stock?
    Take it out of the stock and watch to see if the sear catches on the trigger.
    Did you recently change stocks or trigger guards? Trigger being held released?

were talking about your Marlin right?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

lrpv-shooter
    No it's the savage in 6.5 when I close the bolt it's ok but if pressure is put downward on the bolt it goes off

Basic Member
    your trigger is too light. I backed my trigger off a bit and one day at the range it fired when I closed the bolt.

M.O.A.
    Plus one I would say you trigger was to light

does your PTA still have the target accutrigger in it, or did you swap out the trigger?

Is it actually firing a round, or just tripping the sear and catching on the accutriggers safety blade?

If just catching on the sear then add some pull weight to it. If it is actually firing a round then you have a bigger issue. maybe rubbing on the stock or something.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

lrpv-shooter
    It fires. The sear catches, but the round still fires. It's the factory target trigger and it does not contact the stock

Team Savage
    I just finished some load development on my PTA .223 (1-7 twist). I saw the same thing happen on it and the trigger was not set light. Took it apart and clean all the junk from the sear and adjusted the trigger. No issues, however, if you've already done this, chances are it's set too light.
    MSG, US Army (R)/NRA F Class Match Director/NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    "The Nut behind the Butt is Responsible for the flight of the Bullet!"

This is what is known as slam fire, and the best way to know if you have fixed it or not after you have messed with it is to load primmed brass in the chamber, just primmed brass no powder or bullets so if it goes off no harm no holes, and actually when cycling the primmed brass try to make it go off so then you will really know you have cured it, the best way is to put the brass manually in the chamber and slam the bolt with your palm hard against the round while cycling at the same time, hope this helps, this is one of the reasons why they don't want you screwing with your rifle when we are down range checking our targets.

Tanks Dean