Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolt is sticking like you would not believe.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by rrflyer View Post
    You don't really need to go to the range to check function. Just run a few rounds through it into the dirt......
    Noise pollution? Get cops called on?

rrflyer
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm0812 View Post
    Noise pollution? Get cops called on?
    Depends where you live

Basic Member
    Before you blame Savage you need to fire some American made ammunition, Winchester, Remington, etc. The ammunition you are having problems with is made in Brazil and the cases may be on the soft side or be over pressure. A cartridge case should be hardest at the base and transition to the softest at the neck shoulder junction.

You should try and get base measurements before and after firing to see if the case is expanding in excess at the base extractor area.

Below is a exaggerated image that is caused by over pressure or soft brass.

Below is normal pressure and brass at the correct hardness.

acemisser
    yes...what he said above..

les strat
    Quote Originally Posted by Axtell3 View Post
    Check the torque on your action bolts too, and for marks on the bolt.
    Most likely is the poor quality loads.
    The 2 bolts going through the stock can definitley interfere with the bolt. Could be as heat is generated the metal makes more contact??? Just putting it out there as my front bolt (screw) in my new stock was impeding the bolt action from moving. had to use a shorter screw.

Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    Ok, I stopped back against my better judgement, but .....

Your not the first to experience this issue and I'm pretty sure you won't be the last! Trust me , I'm 100% on your side! It isn't my first parade with primary extraction issues, Savage or those other "Off Brands"!

My suggestion, contact Joe DeGrande (jdegrande@savagearms.com) and POLITELY explain the problem your having. Just tell him your action has a primary extraction issue, the lack of it and/or it's timing. My best guess he'll have you send the rifle back to be checked and the PE corrected.

BTW, where are you located? If your any where near the Lancaster-Harrisburg Pa area I'll be more than happy to check the rifle for you.

Bill
    Bill,

It is nice to see you come back to help those here on the forum.

The forum has changed quite a bit in the last few years, but I remember the time you took out of your day to be helpful to others.

Glad to see a familiar face back.

DreamTheater
    Well, I have a significant update. I sent my letter into Savage, to the attention of Ron Coburn and I got a call this morning from Joe DeGrande. Joe was amazing. First he apologized for the treatment I had on the phone - which meant a lot to me. It was so strange to me that I got that treatment from Savage people because there is just no way that is their norm. He then asked me to send my gun in at their expense and they'll check it out.

Needless to say, my confidence has been fully restored and it is my absolute belief that my gun will be returned to me either fixed or with confirmation that it was the ammo I was shooting (though I do not contend that the ammo was crap and should not be fired again).

Also, I did get a phone call back from Revolution Stocks and it looks like I'll be good to order one of theirs.

I am quite pleased and I feel quite compelled to share my positive experience with Savage and I would now, again, happily refer a friend to them.

I'll update Savage's findings on my gun after I get it back.
    Last edited by DreamTheater; 09-25-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: misspelled a name.

Nandy
    Good news, please do keep us posted, I like to hear the end on this one...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamTheater View Post
    Well, I have a significant update. I sent my letter into Savage, to the attention of Ron Coburn and I got a call this morning from Joe LeGrande. Joe was amazing.
    Now you understand why I suggested contacting Joe in my previous post.

Bill

DreamTheater

Well, I am embarrassed

So Joe got my gun and has been amazing to work with. He contacted me himself after he and Savage's master gunsmith shot my gun with high quality ammo. He reported that it worked great and that there was no issue with the bolt sticking. I asked him to simply try some Magtech just for kicks and giggles and he said that they are no longer making it. While I admit that I would like to shoot my gun myself with high quality ammo before I put this thing to rest until the End of Time, I simultaneously know that Joe has forgotten more about guns than I ever will and I do not doubt his feedback on my gun at all.

So at this point I did want to come here, post what the findings were and share some thoughts (as I climb upon my soap box)

First off, thank you to all that posted. You were right about the Magtech. I can say that I bought it in good faith though simultaneously trying to save a little bit as all i was doing was plinking. And it is too bad plinking is so pricey now. But for me to have expected that I could put a turd in such a precision instrument and get any sort of performance out of it was a bit dumb...maybe a lot dumb.

Due to the fact that Savage is such a great gun, that I did not know Magtech was such crap, and that I had thought i understood bolt actions to be about as simple an approach to firearms as is possible, I could not believe that such a firearm could have issues. And i reacted very strongly to my disappointment. So any hyperbole or negativity I shared about Savage here I retract and apologize for. Assuredly when queried about my rifle, I will quite proudly state that it is a Savage and likely the most if not at least one of the most accurate rifles out of the box for $1000 or less.

I should get my gun back by mid-November at latest and will shoot it at the end of the month. I'm excited to do so with high quality ammo and to see what the gun is really capable of.

So again, thank you for your contributions and please, if you see any other noobs show up around here griping like I did, please send them my way and I'll kindly explain that you wouldnt buy a Ferrari and put 87 octane in it and you wouldnt buy a Savage and put crap ammo in it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamTheater View Post

So any hyperbole or negativity I shared about Savage here I retract and apologize for.
    No apology necessary.

Your not the first nor will you be the last, but to your credit you have taken the time and made effort to find a solution rather than plaster posts all over the net and do nothing but complain.

Now, shut up and go shoot some tiny groups!

Good luck!

Bill

Basic Member
    Mr. Theater,

You did not think it was the ammo, what makes you think the next guy will :)

Mako25
    Were it me, the first thing I'd do is stop firing the Mag Tech.

Might seem simplistic, but if other brands of cartridges are NOT sticking; you can figure it out from there.

FYI, the next probable course of events from your rifle with that ammo are ones you do not want to experience. That sticky extraction doesn't seem to be a rifle problem -- the other brands of cartridges work fine -- but a pressure problem. (hard bolt lift, or difficult extraction indicate dangerously high pressure)

They're your hands, and eyes - do as you see fit.

(as others have mentioned, make sure your chamber is DRY {no oil}).

Lt.Dan
    I had this happen with various ammo and plenty of hand loads. I won't have mine out to the range anytime soon but when I finally do get out there I will have a shim in place to help this. I will also try swapping a new bolt handle. I just got a new one in for my 110 so I can take a comparison picture of it up against my old one in my 10FCPHS that is having the problem. Stay tuned.

Jason8691
    Well thats disappointing, I picked up a box of Magtech a few weeks ago-$35 for 50 bullets was impossible to pass up. THEN I read several reviews that people with Savages had pretty much the same issue across the board with this ammo. Im just glad I didnt go right to the range with it and end up thinking my gun had something wrong with it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12