Thread: inletting on boyds varmint thumbhole

stewart33

inletting on boyds varmint thumbhole

I have just assembled my 7mm with a boyds varmint thumbhole. I have had to do quite a bit of inlet work for the barrel channel and still need some more clearance. I was under the impression that this stock would receive the heavy barrel with little mods. Haven't even started on the mag well. Is this common?

For some reason the Boyds varmint thumbhole Long actions stocks come with a sporter channel and the Short Actions have a heavy barrel sized channel. To me it should be both of them opened for a Varmint contour sized barrel, but thats the way it is.

At least the state that in the description for the LA version.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

You have to watch out with the Boyd's almost all of them are for factory barrel channels(sporter) and they state that on their web site.That being said all of mine(6-7) have been sanded out for varmint contour and I don't think any took longer than 30 min.. As for the mag fitting all have been right on, but one needed to be cleaned up a little and one needed to be shimmed because I wanted a center feed to go into the stagger feed cut out but I knew this going into it.All of them had to be pillared,I knew this also.
    Over all they are a nice stock for the money, and with a little effort can be made to look as nice as the more expensive stocks,ie; refinishing or painting.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

seanhagerty
    I got a Boyds Varmit Thumbhole stock. I have a varmit contour barrel, so I got a Gunwerks channel tool in 1" and 1 1/8". It took about an hour of going at it cautiously, but I have it opened up and free floated. I put some finish on there seal it up and I am ready to go now.

Sean

stewart33
    I'm not complaining the quality verses expenditure is excellent. The tang tolerance seems tight I know this needs to float I'm just wondering how much? Paper? I've been lurking around here for a year when I bought stevens donor. got an elk hunt soon and just want to avoid any issues. I'm taking it slow various dowels and 60grit. need to finish this build and get it to the range.

Some say dollar bill others say a business card should slide under the tang, I just go enough to slide a dollar easily.Don't forget to reseal the wood. I would also recommend you install pillars.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

cgeorgemo
    As long as the wood isn't contacting the tang you're golden. A dollar or a donut in between doesn't matter just keep them from touching.

stewart33
    Right on George I think I can do better than a doughnut. I'll try my lucky Benjamin and if he doesn't work I'll spend his a$$ on a Sightron.

shoot well, Ted

WuzYoungOnceToo
    Quote Originally Posted by cgeorgemo View Post
    As long as the wood isn't contacting the tang you're golden. A dollar or a donut in between doesn't matter just keep them from touching.
    Of course it matters. How in the world are you supposed to concentrate on your target when there's a delicious donut just sitting just beyond your scope? Mmmmmmmmmm.....ballistic donuts......