Thread: Got a new toy (NightForce)

Basic Member

Got a new toy (NightForce)

for my F class shooting.

NightForce NX5.5-22X50 with the NP-R1 reticle

[img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/100_02911.jpg[/img]
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

Basic Member

Re: Got a new toy (NightForce)

Youre going to love it. Only prob is now you will be spoiled and you will want to change over all your scopes to NF! I got my 1st about 5 mo. ago, won the last F class at Camp Butner, NC match I shot with it and am having trouble looking thru anything but a NF now. Congrats! You won't be disappointed. Once you bite the bullet and actually pay for it, you are glad you did. There are only a few things that I have spent what I considered more $ than I orig should have- My Lexus, T&T job, high quality bullets, Lapua brass, etc. and now NF Scopes. I am very happy with all decisions. You really do get what you pay for!

snoog37

My congratulations to you. And, my condolenses to your credit card. I've got some nice scopes in the armory, but the NF's are on the wish list. I'm jealous.

Pete K.

Fjold,

Really nice choice on your new scope. Your reticle has 1 moa markings on the verticle scale and 2 moa on the windage scale. Nice!!
    All the Nightforse scopes seem to be "Fair Traded" on the price. I looked at several suppliers and they all showed your scope reduced to $1632 from over two grand. I bet the optics are crystal clear and bright at 56mm. I saw the "brightness" award that Nightforse received.
    What will you be using this on and is it strictly for hunting?

Pete

:)

Youre going to love it. Only prob is now you will be spoiled and you will want to change over all your scopes to NF!
    I am in the same boat, I have three Swarovskis, one nighforce, and two Ziess! All are good scopes, but at 600yds give me the Nightforce!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

dcloco

We use a Nightforce on the 338 RUM built on a Savage Target action for taking the long shots on deer in Nebraska. Just figure out the range and dial it up. To date, 1600 yds is the farthest, so far. All are one shot kills with a 300 gr SMK.

The Nightforce rides in Burris XTR rings attached to an EGW 20 MOA base. I was very concerned if the base could handle that heavy of scope for multiple shots with this much recoil (rifle has a brake on it)...so far....so good.

1600yrd one shot kill!!!!

dam nice shootin!!

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by Apache
    1600yrd one shot kill!!!!

dam nice shootin!!
    Practice, doing homework, and luck...ALL play a part in it.

Biggest obstacle right now....ranging the target. Leica only goes so far.

In all honesty, until a person has the chance to pull the trigger on a 338 RUM that was built to utilize the 300 gr SMK's, you don't know what you are missing. Has Hammer's projects illustrate as well. 5500 ft lbs of muzzle energy!!

Basic Member

Just curious why you choose the NP-R1 reticle? That looks really busy. I use a Mil-Dot all the time, but I am getting into dialing in my scopes more and more. Is that the dominant reticle in F-Class. I have been hung up trying to learn point blank BR for the last year and simple dots or just fine cross hairs rule. Give me some feed back. Tim

Basic Member

Sorry guys, I forgot about this post.

This will be going on my F class rifles. Right now that is a custom built 6.5x284 and soon I'll be adding a Savage 110CL in 243 that I'll be shooting in F class and the tactical rifle matches here.

The NP-R1 reticle has 2 MOA hashmarks horizontally so it centers the standard 40" bulleye exactly between the first two hashmarks at 1,000 yards. When shooting quickly at unknown distances (tactical matches) the 1 MOA hashmarks give a fast holdover for quick shooting. If you have to hold off for wind it gives you a quick and precise aiming spot.
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375