Thread: This was a stock for a friend but Am I too fat?

Basic Member

This was a stock for a friend but Am I too fat?

In a trade for some ironwood and walnut I was asked to finish a half started Mauser stock to fit a Axis. Everyone I show this to has the same first works. “That’s one fat forearm” or “That’s one big stock”. Do you think I should thin the forearm?

RSG

Trent
    What is it's purpose? Can you show us some other angles? Nice looking work from here. Is that Tru-Oil?

Have you ever tried using Pilkingtons oil finish? It is outstanding stuff.

davemuzz
    It's to big if the rifle owner say's it's to big. If he doesn't like it, cut it back. Compare it to some photo's of other Beaver tail forend rifle stocks that you will find on line.

And always remember......nothing is ever too big......unless we are talking Bikini's.

Looks a bit odd--but if it's mainly bench/target match type shooting I think it's fine. For a hunting rifle--nope. Just my less than 2 cents.

Now you could hollow out the front end of the stock and embed a laser range-finder with a HUD in the scope--that's be cool ; )
    Last edited by thermaler; 09-17-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: add content

I have to agree. If this is primarily a bench rifle I think it looks fine.
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.

Look's llike the bottom of the for stock needs to be a bit flatter and a rail installed if for range work if hunting needs to be smaller.

Basic Member
    The stock requested was a walking varmint youth style. We did talk about the stock and the forearm before I started the stock. I had to make two stocks, one I screwup and repaired the inlet cut ( the one in pic). I did not want to give him a repaired stock for the amount of wood I received. He or his son has not seen the stock, so I will put the forearm on a slimfast diet.
    Thanks for the input.
    RSG

Basic Member
    Sorry Trent for not answering your question. Yes it Tru-oil
    RSG
    Last edited by RSG; 09-17-2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: SPELLING

bobfortier
    Wow, nice to see others are taking on making Axis stock out of wood. You know that there is a big market for those ?? I sure do....

Oh, the size may be a bit big (from the picture) to carry in the bush, but perfect for bench work.

Basic Member
    For bench rest shooting that forearm is way too deep. The center of gravity needs to be low. A forearm that high makes a rifle very hard to shoot off bags, and increases the rotational torque.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

I thought all they needed to do is look weird. : )

Rotational torque--is that the same thing as muzzle lift?

M.O.A.
    No the muzzle doesn't just lift it twists as its fired

kevin_stevens
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    For bench rest shooting that forearm is way too deep. The center of gravity needs to be low. A forearm that high makes a rifle very hard to shoot off bags, and increases the rotational torque.
    I don't understand how it "increases the rotational torque". Torque is torque - it's X ft-lbs around the axis of the barrel. Moving it further out with a deeper stock doesn't change the amount of torque. It increases the tangential movement, but also gives you more leverage to resist it. ???

KeS

(and to the OP - yes, you are too fat!)

Hey RSG I would not offer this to just anyone,

but in my honest opinion I think you need to ship me that stock and build the owner another stock so he will not have to see that fat boy! =:)

Nice work man, bench rest it looks fine to me!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
    I don't understand how it "increases the rotational torque". Torque is torque - it's X ft-lbs around the axis of the barrel. Moving it further out with a deeper stock doesn't change the amount of torque. It increases the tangential movement, but also gives you more leverage to resist it. ???
    Ok...Let me re-phrase that. A higher center of gravity will decrease the resistance to rotational torque.

kevin_stevens
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Ok...Let me re-phrase that. A higher center of gravity will decrease the resistance to rotational torque.
    Um, I still don't get it. Understand that I'm not a benchrest guy so I don't really understand what you're trying to convey. I'm not playing dumb, I *am* dumb. :)

If you're trying to say that the rifle will tilt off the bottom of the stock further when you fire it, because the rotational torque from the shot is acting through a longer lever, then I understand and agree with that. I didn't know it was a big deal, and as I said before the longer arm would make it easier to prevent - but I don't know if it's preventable by a person in the first place (may be too fast or happen during the recoil cycle, etc.)

What you said made me curious, is all.

KeS

M.O.A.
    Kevin you got to remember that most benchrest guy have OCD and are a little anal at what they do that's why they shoot so dang good ;-)

Basic Member
    "If you're trying to say that the rifle will tilt off the bottom of the stock further when you fire it, because the rotational torque from the shot is acting through a longer lever, then I understand and agree with that."

O.K...so you understand that part.

" I didn't know it was a big deal"

It may not seem like a big deal, but it makes the rifle a lot harder to control. The higher the bore is over the bottom of the stock makes it easier to tip. If you look at the factory Axis stock, it has a full radius on the forearm which is less than the radius from the bore, which will let it rotate quite easily and offers no resistance to torque.

" and as I said before the longer arm would make it easier to prevent"

This is true, but it applies to the other end of the stock. The torque affects the forearm on a horizontal plane, i.e the forearm wants roll counter clockwise, and on a square or nearly flat forearm the left corner will encounter all the force. The farther this corner is from the centerline of the bore in the horizontal axis, the more resistance it has to the rotation.
    The buttstock is just the opposite. The bottom of the butt is almost 5" below the centerline of the bore and the torque is affected on the vertical plane. When the gun recoils,the torque is still going counter clockwise, but the butt is pushing to the right side of the bag. This is where your "longer arm" concept applies.
    Stocks that have a deep forearm like the one in the picture are commonly used on off hand and position rifles. The reason for the deep forearm is to position your supporting hand closer to your body.

kevin_stevens
    Tx for the info. :beer

KeS