Thread: Hog Hunter Fixed Sight Question

10th_Mntn

Hog Hunter Fixed Sight Question

I'm a fan of iron sights and have been looking into the Hug Hunter. I like the overall build but would love a set of good folding iron sights on it. Does anyone have experience with the weapon and the way the sights are attached? Is there a way to get a new set of irons on it without a smithy?

Thanks

I handled one at the NRA show back in April, and the sights appeared to be attached the normal savage manner. I liked the fact that after talking with Effie Sullivan while I was at the show, that the rear peep sight used on the Scout rifle, will fit perfectly on the Hog Hunter, since the Hog and the Scout use the same height front sight.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    I handled one at the NRA show back in April, and the sights appeared to be attached the normal savage manner. I liked the fact that after talking with Effie Sullivan while I was at the show, that the rear peep sight used on the Scout rifle, will fit perfectly on the Hog Hunter, since the Hog and the Scout use the same height front sight.
    Based on what Boots said, and since I have a the Scout in my inventory, the factory rear sight is a Williams WGRS-SAVAGE (For Savage 110 with round receiver) rear sight that is screwed on using the rear sight base holes. (I added this adjustable aperture to mine)and the front sight is a Williams streamlined ramp with a Williams .375" height, .250 width bead sight. I replaced mine with a firesight bead that was the same height and width and put a hood on it so it would not get damaged walking around the woods.

The above specs are for my FCM Scout. If the Hog Hunter barrel is thicker at the muzzle, the front sight blade on the Hog Hunter may be appropriately higher or lower.
    Last edited by Admin; 09-26-2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Fixed Links

TraverseSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by 10th_Mntn View Post
    I'm a fan of iron sights and have been looking into the Hug Hunter. I like the overall build but would love a set of good folding iron sights on it. Does anyone have experience with the weapon and the way the sights are attached? Is there a way to get a new set of irons on it without a smithy?

Thanks
    I have the same issue with the sights on the Hog, although no experience yet since I just ordered the rifle yesterday. My gunsmith says 6-48 screws which is perfect since the replacement sights I want to use: this one http://www.marblearms.com/universalRearSights.html for the rear and this one http://www.marblearms.com/frontSights.html for the front (uni-ramp)

10th_Mntn
    Thanks for the helpfull replies..

@TraverseSavage - If you swap out your sights would you mind posting some pics and maybe a range report? I like those Marble Amrs sights..

Thanks

TraverseSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by 10th_Mntn View Post
    Thanks for the helpfull replies..

@TraverseSavage - If you swap out your sights would you mind posting some pics and maybe a range report? I like those Marble Amrs sights..

Thanks
    Absolutely!!! Picking up the rifle today. I needed to have the rifle in my hands so I could measure the barrel. The Marbles sights come in many different sizes (barrel dia., heights, etc.) and their website has the charts to cross reference with the sight's model number.

Can't wait to shoot it either. I'll also give my semi-professional opinion on the rifle as well. Like I said, not too many reviews on the Hog.

10th_Mntn
    Quote Originally Posted by TraverseSavage View Post
    Absolutely!!! Picking up the rifle today. I needed to have the rifle in my hands so I could measure the barrel. The Marbles sights come in many different sizes (barrel dia., heights, etc.) and their website has the charts to cross reference with the sight's model number.

Can't wait to shoot it either. I'll also give my semi-professional opinion on the rifle as well. Like I said, not too many reviews on the Hog.

That would be great.. I'm also looking at the Savage10FP-SR or Precision Carbine. Both rifles are very similar to the Hog, only more expensive with minor upgrades... I've held one and it seems much more solid than people make it sound. The reviews I read just don't make sense. They focus too much on the short barrell. There is no reason a 20" barrel couldn't reach out to 600 yards with consistant accuracy. I think theres a lack of good unbiased reviews..

TraverseSavage
    The above specs are for my FCM Scout. If the Hog Hunter barrel is thicker at the muzzle, the front sight blade on the Hog Hunter may be appropriately higher or lower. [/COLOR]
    Would you mind measuring your barrel dia. where your front mount is located? I like your setup, but want something a little more open at the rear sight. Your front sight sounds like what I need though.

I just p/u the Hog hunter and it's measuring .75 +/- where the front bead is. And FYI if anybody needs to know, .9375 at the rear blade (barrel dia.). Was hoping for less taper, still a solid barrel though.

thomae
    TraverseSavage: At the bead, from about 1.5" to about 1" in from the muzzle, the diameter of the barrel is .598" to .592"
    If you unscrew the reticle that I have on the rear sight, you get a very open "ghost ring" type sight picture.

Rear sight with my adjustable reticle:

Rear sight without reticle (the rifle really isn't as dirty/dusty as the macro setting with flash makes it out to be):

Another view:

I hope this helps. I couldn't really get the camera to focus as if it were looking through the sights.

TraverseSavage
    Thanks thomae...here's a couple of pics of the Hog Hunter rear and front sight. Not a bad setup I suppose, just have worries of breaking the rear sight off:

What I want to do is attach a single EGW scope scope mount and install a peep on to of that. All the SOPMOD style rear folders I think will be too high. I've been using Brownell's sight height calculation tool:http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...ght_Calculator and it says my rear height should be .469, that would include the scope base.

I think this is my answer: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...ER-BACKUP-BASE and then adjust my front height accordingly.

I want to install a scope with quick detach rings and have the irons as a back up

thomae
    Thanks thomae...here's a couple of pics of the Hog Hunter rear and front sight. Not a bad setup I suppose, just have worries of breaking the rear sight off: (pictures deleted to save bandwidth)

What I want to do is attach a single EGW scope scope mount and install a peep on to of that. All the SOPMOD style rear folders I think will be too high. I've been using Brownell's sight height calculation tool:http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...ght_Calculator and it says my rear height should be .469, that would include the scope base.

I think this is my answer: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...ER-BACKUP-BASE and then adjust my front height accordingly.

I want to install a scope with quick detach rings and have the irons as a back up
    1. I like the rear sight you linked to, although it is not adjustable for elevation.
    2. Williams makes different height front sight blades. Should not be hard to find the height you need.
    3. When you do replace your front sight, I'd go with the firesight. Much better visibility in low light conditions. (I originally had the brass bead sight as well).
    4. If you need a front sight blade pusher tool, let me know and you can borrow mine.
    5. Your rear sight base looks the same as mine. 10 to 1 odds that my "ghost ring" threaded aperture would fit into your rear sight dovetail. I don't know if that would serve your purpose, but it might. I also don't know if Williams offers it in different heights...might be worth looking at their catalog or calling them. If they do offer it, and if the sight picture is acceptable, that might be the easiest solution.

TraverseSavage
    Hi, wanted to apologize to the OP, 10th_Mntn for hijacking your thread :).

Thomae, your point number 5 is worth looking into. Matter of fact, I'm going to call Williams and find out if that will work. I also like the Firesight idea and maybe the dovetails will also match up with Williams' blades as well. The Hog's sight positions are fine, but I just don't like how high they are. I'm rough on guns and I can see myself breaking off that rear blade. I also like the front hood idea.

thomae
    I thought about the thread hijack, but as long as we are discussing putting iron sights on the hog hunter, I thought the OP might be able to glean some ideas from our discussions.
    The Firesight front blades are from Williams. They will match up. The only difference is the fiberoptic plastic bead.
    The front hood worked on my scout because there was already a slot cut into the front sight ramp. You have the "shorty" ramp without the slots for the hood. Purchasing the longer, streamlined ramp from Williams may solve that problem. I would presume that the screw holes are the same for the two ramps, but I'd check with Williams anyway.

In the 2012 williams catalog (
    http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/pdf/2012_Catalog.pdf) they have come out with something that would fit your needs exactly called the "Ace in the Hole." The only problem is that it is not yet made for Savage rifles.

Looking through the catalog, it is clear that you can get several different "ghost ring" aperture blades to convert your sight to a ghost ring sight. They even have a fire sight ghost ring aperture that has two fiberoptic dots on either side of the aperture. See page 13 of the catalog.

If the new rear sight is too short, Williams offers riser blocks that add .250 " to the front dovetail.
    On page 18 of the catalog they show the Streamlined ramps that have the slots for the hoods, and also have step by step procedures for figuring out which front and rear sights go together on a tapered barrel.

I don't work for Williams nor do I receive any kickbacks. But I think that you may find a solution to your quest in their catalog. I have never called them, so I don't know how helpful their customer service folks are, but it is certainly worth a call.

Hope this helps!

TraverseSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    I thought about the thread hijack, but as long as we are discussing putting iron sights on the hog hunter, I thought the OP might be able to glean some ideas from our discussions.
    The Firesight front blades are from Williams. They will match up. The only difference is the fiberoptic plastic bead.
    The front hood worked on my scout because there was already a slot cut into the front sight ramp. You have the "shorty" ramp without the slots for the hood. Purchasing the longer, streamlined ramp from Williams may solve that problem. I would presume that the screw holes are the same for the two ramps, but I'd check with Williams anyway.

In the 2012 williams catalog (
    http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/pdf/2012_Catalog.pdf) they have come out with something that would fit your needs exactly called the "Ace in the Hole." The only problem is that it is not yet made for Savage rifles.

Looking through the catalog, it is clear that you can get several different "ghost ring" aperture blades to convert your sight to a ghost ring sight. They even have a fire sight ghost ring aperture that has two fiberoptic dots on either side of the aperture. See page 13 of the catalog.

If the new rear sight is too short, Williams offers riser blocks that add .250 " to the front dovetail.
    On page 18 of the catalog they show the Streamlined ramps that have the slots for the hoods, and also have step by step procedures for figuring out which front and rear sights go together on a tapered barrel.

I don't work for Williams nor do I receive any kickbacks. But I think that you may find a solution to your quest in their catalog. I have never called them, so I don't know how helpful their customer service folks are, but it is certainly worth a call.

Hope this helps!
    Just got off the phone with Chuck at Williams, he said they made 2000 sights for the Hog Hunter but doesn't know if Savage used them or not - the sight would say Williams on the side, mine does not. Anyway, he's checking to see if they have a base that will fit my barrels radius for the rear sight.

The front is good-to-go. Their blades will fit my current base so I'm going with a Firesight. I'll pick the height when I find out what rear I'm installing.

Great guy to talk to, very knowledgeable I'd recommend anyone with sight questions to call him. He has access to barrel dia.'s and existing sight height. Told me my factory front and rear sight heights are .755 and .725, respectively.

10th_Mntn: this should help if you're still thinking about buying a Hog. I'll have more info. when Chuck gets back to me.

CCWHusker
    I took them off and used the plugs from the receiver to fill the spots where they were mounted. Normally, a BUIS is a great idea. However, it should be used with an optic that you can quickly and consistently take off and put back on... My HH has a Redfield Revolution firmly placed in a set of Leupold rings and bases. IMHO, there is no other mounting system that is as strong, or permanent. If you've ever worked with them... you will know why they don't at all fall in to a category of quick detachment. To head off any questions about "What if you can't use your optics?"... if that happens; things have gone very, very wrong and it's time to E&E back to the truck with my broken gun or break contact and fight my way back to the truck with my sidearm (more than likely, a Sig P226 with a TLR-1s in .357 Sig or my 1911 if I am ever on a bear hunt). I might go to a QD set up in the future... but that's not the case right now.

10th_Mntn
    Just got off the phone with Chuck at Williams, he said they made 2000 sights for the Hog Hunter but doesn't know if Savage used them or not - the sight would say Williams on the side, mine does not. Anyway, he's checking to see if they have a base that will fit my barrels radius for the rear sight.

The front is good-to-go. Their blades will fit my current base so I'm going with a Firesight. I'll pick the height when I find out what rear I'm installing.

Great guy to talk to, very knowledgeable I'd recommend anyone with sight questions to call him. He has access to barrel dia.'s and existing sight height. Told me my factory front and rear sight heights are .755 and .725, respectively.

10th_Mntn: this should help if you're still thinking about buying a Hog. I'll have more info. when Chuck gets back to me.
    This is exactly what I was looking for... Thanks for the info.. I like the firesight front but I'm not quite sure about the rear.. The best iron sights I've used are made for the AR platform. What are the odds that a small rail could be mounted front and back for folding AR sights? I love the diamondhead foldings sights. I may need to see a smithy about that one.
    Also, feel free to highjack the thread.. The info. is appreciated.

TraverseSavage
    Right on 10th. Still waiting to hear back from Williams...gonna cal them tomorrow. Who knows about the AR platform-type sights. Barrel mounted picatinny's on bolt actions may be here sooner than you think. The Hog's barrel is tapered which makes things a little more complicated, though it's cheaper and lighter than some other heavy barrels I had in mind before picking up this rifle. $441. out-the-door, including $30 transfer. Donor for sure..the stock is the biggest POS I've ever come across. Seems though most rifles out there need a new stock even from the factory. The Remmy 700 SPS Tactical stock; I would've replaced that one too.

CCWHusker --> I want QD scope not for possible back up/scope fail. I just want the option to use iron sights. This rifle will be multi-purpose, not unlike a Swiss Army knife. I want good, tough irons AND solid scope mount/QD.

TraverseSavage
    Will have an answer from Williams by the end of the week, they're real busy this time of the year. Page 13 of their catalog http://www.williamsgunsight.com/guns...12_Catalog.pdf shows an open ghost ring fire sight. Chuck at Williams is finding me a base that will match the barrels radius. I may have to smithy in a new hole/tap, but a small step to get what I want out of an iron sight system.

TraverseSavage
    Here are a couple of shots with the Williams gunsights. Chuck at Williams hooked me up. Anyone interested in changing/adding sights to their prospective Hog Hunter or any rifle for that matter, should check out Williams. Great customer service and products.
    Before:

After:

And this for my front:
    "Sort of" sight pic.:
    And my scope mount, mounted.(blurry shot):
    Part #'s:
    Firesight ghost ring: #70919
    Hog Hunter "complete" (base): #70187
    Firesight front bead: #56434 (many heights and a couple colors available, but this will slide in to the existing ramp without mod.)

Don't have real world shooting yet, but seems like it's going to be sweet. F'n ghost ring glows even in low light. Existing hog rear is probably fine for close up, low-light, reaction-type shots. I replaced mine for longer shots and got the bonus with the light-gathering of the Firesight.
    Last edited by TraverseSavage; 10-11-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Steven R
    I recently purchased a Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter in 308. When I purchased it, it had a scope mounted. At the time, I didn't notice that the rear sight "ramp" elevation had been removed. I can't find one online. Would anyone like to sell me there factory rear ramp sight adjustment ramp for the Model 11 Hog Hunter in 308. I have the piece that is screwed into the barrel but not the rest of it, i.e., sliding ramp and screw. Thanks. The one shown in the picture above looks like it would work perfectly.

Still waiting for my HH barrel to get here, seems the seller isn't too reliable. Won't answer PM's, tracking number is a week late from when he said he'd send it to me. My plans are to go with the Firesight if the barrel ever arrives. Glad the question was asked, answered a lot that I had.

stevo911_
    Here are a couple of shots with the Williams gunsights. Chuck at Williams hooked me up. Anyone interested in changing/adding sights to their prospective Hog Hunter or any rifle for that matter, should check out Williams. Great customer service and products.

Part #'s:
    Firesight ghost ring: #70919
    Hog Hunter "complete" (base): #70187
    Firesight front bead: #56434 (many heights and a couple colors available, but this will slide in to the existing ramp without mod.)

Don't have real world shooting yet, but seems like it's going to be sweet. F'n ghost ring glows even in low light. Existing hog rear is probably fine for close up, low-light, reaction-type shots. I replaced mine for longer shots and got the bonus with the light-gathering of the Firesight.
    Old thread bump, I know.
    I was wondering if you had any updates on how you like this setup? I've got a hog hunter that I'm looking at doing something very similar to, wondering if you ended up having to change/order any more parts (different height front post or anything)?

Cant find any details on the Hog Hunter "complete" (base): #70187 -is this the ramp that actually bolts to the barrel, or the piece that the ghost ring sits in? (going to call williams, but it's an international call, so I want to make the phone call as quick as I can).

thomae
    I know this is a resurrected thread...but:
    Here's more detail on what I did on my Savage Scout. Not the hog hunter, but fixed sights. : Should work on a hog hunter as well.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...7-62x39-review

Works well in various light conditions. The adjustable aperture is the key. The firesight bead really helps as well.