Thread: old Savage 110L barrel info needed.....

oldrover

old Savage 110L barrel info needed.....

I have a Savage 110L (I'm left handed) currently in 243 cal that I want to convert to 308. It was obvious to me that you buy a new barrel (with gauges) and fit it up properly. Problem I have is my rifle is old, ser# is 2354X vintage range. The shape of the barrel is not just a simple taper from muzzle to chamber, but rather it actually changes to a steeper taper about 2/3 up the barrel to accomodate a rear site mount. I suspect that perhaps this rifle is custom built but I have no idea because Savage doesn't have serial number data going back that far. Is there any way to find out the year it was manufactured? Is there any way to know if my barrel is custom built or is it one that was actually produced by Savage at one time? Either way, I'll have to find someone to turn my new barrel to the old barrel dimensions and I may need some suggestions with that as well. Thanks!, Mike.

Douglasskid
    This Savage is a very early model, prior to 1963. The bolt head, as well as the barrel are different from today's Savage rifles. Best bet is to have Fred at SSS help you. This requires a barrel turned for this type action, not the normal barrel.
    I have several of these in left hand, great guns!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrover View Post
    I have a Savage 110L (I'm left handed) currently in 243 cal that I want to convert to 308. It was obvious to me that you buy a new barrel (with gauges) and fit it up properly. Problem I have is my rifle is old, ser# is 2354X vintage range. The shape of the barrel is not just a simple taper from muzzle to chamber, but rather it actually changes to a steeper taper about 2/3 up the barrel to accomodate a rear site mount. I suspect that perhaps this rifle is custom built but I have no idea because Savage doesn't have serial number data going back that far. Is there any way to find out the year it was manufactured? Is there any way to know if my barrel is custom built or is it one that was actually produced by Savage at one time? Either way, I'll have to find someone to turn my new barrel to the old barrel dimensions and I may need some suggestions with that as well. Thanks!, Mike.
    maybe this will help you!
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ferrerid=10815

You'll need a new barrel, bolt, and magazine to make it swappable with new style barrels.

The Pre-67's have a counterbore in the barrel similar to the Rem 700. They also had a standing ejector mounted to the rear of the magazine. The trigger is also different, but is still compatible with new style bolts.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar