Thread: magazines?

Dustinsmall87

magazines?

i recently bought a 110 in 30-06 and it has a internal mag and im starting to upgrade it and was wondering if i could buy a stock with a detachable box mag or have to stay with a internal one?

John_M
    Dustin, Without knowing which rifle you have purchased, I cannot tell if you can convert to a Detachable Box Magazine (DBM). Call Customer Service at Savage and they will know if this is possible and which parts you will need.

I converted my Model 10, .223 Rem from an internal magazine to a DBM and needed a new stock, bottom metal w/separate trigger guard, magazine, action screws and perhaps other parts. I purchased all the parts directly from Savage and the re-assembly went without a hitch. The modification cost about half as much as a new rifle but to me, the remodel was worth the expense. I much prefer the DBM to the internal magazine.

When I called Savage I was fortunate to be connected with a woman who knew exactly what I wanted to achieve and the parts needed. She was very knowledgeable and helpful - a real winner. Be sure to have the rifle's serial number available if/when you call Savage. They will need that to give you accurate info.

Good luck in your efforts.

Clint KY
    Not to hi-jack your thread, but why do so many folks want a detachable magazine? I do know those who do have never traipsed an hour in the woods to get to a hunting spot and looked down and realized that somewhere along the way a brush or branch knocked the magazine release and now the magazine is gone. My 7MM-08 has blind magazine and I have never had any problems with it. I can unload it without cycling the bolt by reaching in and pushing the round forward enough to get a hold of it and it can never be lost.

Really just curious.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint KY View Post
    Not to hi-jack your thread, but why do so many folks want a detachable magazine? I do know those who do have never traipsed an hour in the woods to get to a hunting spot and looked down and realized that somewhere along the way a brush or branch knocked the magazine release and now the magazine is gone. My 7MM-08 has blind magazine and I have never had any problems with it. I can unload it without cycling the bolt by reaching in and pushing the round forward enough to get a hold of it and it can never be lost.

Really just curious.
    Not disagreeing with you, but possibly to keep the rifle unloaded then being able to snap it in real quick and be loaded. Other than loading one catridge after another.

M.O.A.
    im with clint on this i have droped a mag out of a rifle while hunting and i have never seen a faster hunt ender than that.

i can under stand it for F/T shooters so they dont have to reload but not for hunting where you dont have to or shouldnt have to reload that fast.

Dustinsmall87
    really just preferance I supose. also i do more target shooting than hunting with the gun i just ordered a trijicon 5-20x50 accupoint for the gun and it has a 30mm tube which will prob get in the way and i am wanting to put a one peice rail on the gun so i can mount a level and stuff on it and that will definatly get in the way.

Dustin I own a bunch of Savages(12) and they are all blind mags,all but two have 30mm scopes and a couple have EGW rails and from experience I can tell you that they DO NOT get in the way.I had one dbm(243) dropped the mag out after a shot from my tree stand, did not need a follow up and converted it to blind mag right after the season ended.Just my preference and .02 worth.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

John_M
    Clint and others, you raise an interesting and legitimate question. Most of my shooting is varmints and bench rest. My fingers are fairly large (sixe XL glove) and I found the internal magazine to be awkward at times when filling the magazine or loading single rounds. I decided to spend the money and try the Detachable Box Magazine to see if that added to my shooting enjoyment. It did so I stuck with it.

At the time of making my decision I didn't think in terms of carrying a rifle through the woods or climbing into tree stands, etc. In those circumstances I would agree the internal magazine would appear to be the better of the two choices in terms of functional reliability and convenience.

If I were younger and spent much of my hunting time stalking game and moving any significant distance through woods or climbing into tree stands, etc., I would probably opt for the internal magazine.

I hope all these posts help rather than confuse Dustin in his original query.

Best wishes and good shooting to all.
    Last edited by John_M; 09-12-2012 at 09:37 AM.

thomae
    FWIW, a few inches of duct tape (it even comes in camo, now) on the baseplate of a detachable magazine can be good insurance, (It sounds like a good idea to me, although I admit that I have not used duct tape when I have hunted with DBMs.)

Basic Member
    If you lose the mag or you forgot it...you can still fire the rifle without a magazine inserted.

For me, I like DBM systems because I can have ammo loaded and ready to go. I've never had a magazine come lose...and even if I did...I always have more than one mag.

Quote Originally Posted by M.O.A. View Post
    im with clint on this i have droped a mag out of a rifle while hunting and i have never seen a faster hunt ender than that.

i can under stand it for F/T shooters so they dont have to reload but not for hunting where you dont have to or shouldnt have to reload that fast.

M.O.A.
    It happened with a ruger 10-17 and the mags where real high in price. and I was just too mad to hunt on.