I've been wanting to get myself a hunting rifle again for quite a while. I've always liked the 30-06 and have been reading quite a bit about the virtues of the Savage 110 series. So I've been scraping together extra change lately and went pawn shop looking the other day. One shop in particular had half a dozen 110's in 30-06 including this one. Most of them were 110E models with very blonde stocks, this one is a straight 110 with what looks like a slightly nicer stock (don't know if it's Walnut or something else?). It has an old school Weaver K4 60-B that seems bright and clear, barrel is bright and shiny, all in all this rifle just seemed to wink at me and felt good in my hands. It was marked $269 but they took $215 and I took it home. I bought a box of Fusion 180's and headed to the gravel pit with my Dad who was in town with his new Glock 10mm... Well at roughly 60 yards the thing shoots exactly to point of aim and just about touches holes! I know 60 yards isn't much but I didn't want to get too far down range cause it was busy. All in all I'm very happy with this rifle. It's feels like an old friend already, rust freckles and all.

So can anybody tell me things that I might need to know about the rifle and/or scope?
Can you tell from the pics what kind of wood the stock is?
Was the barrel floated from the factory or did somebody work on that?
I didn't know Savage made scope rings.. are they any good?
Can you tell when this rifle was made?
When were the Weaver K4 60-B's made?
Anything I can do to take care of the scope?
How can I protect the rifle when I'm out in the rain/snow?