Thread: 6.5 grendel

6.5 grendel

thinking about building one and was wondering if anyone has one and how they like it

LabRat2k3
    Do you already own a AR in this caliber? If not there are better 6.5 rounds that you can build in a bolt gun. If you just like the round that is cool, but IMO its only real appeal is that it fits in an AR mag, so when you have a gun with a longer mag you might as well step up to a longer round.

M.O.A.
    Yes the 260 or the 6.5 creedmoor I would go with the creedmoor my self oh wait did its a great round ;-)

Opus Dei
    Quote Originally Posted by LabRat2k3 View Post
    If you just like the round that is cool, but IMO its only real appeal is that it fits in an AR mag, so when you have a gun with a longer mag you might as well step up to a longer round.
    I get what you're saying, but you inadvertently made a case for a Grendel bolt rifle. With a more robust platform and extra magazine length, you can make the most of its capabilities. That said, I concede that the hottest Grendel load isn't going to outperform some other calibers, especially when you can get something stouter off the shelf.

I still intend to make one. I kinda kick myself for not ordering one of the Gun Shack group buy barrels earlier this year, but I wanted a CM barrel.

just interested in the cartridge. thought i'd make one for the grandkids

MrMajestic
    I have a Pac-Nor 22" 8tw barrel on a 10 FCM that was a 7.62X39. I get 2575 fps and less than .75 MOA(5 rds.) with AA2520 behind the 123 gr. A-Max. It is a joy to shoot and a excellent hunting round for up to Whitetail/Wild Hog class game animals maintaining 900 ft. lb., considered minimum for that class by many, of terminal energy at 480 yards. It would be a great caliber choice for those concerned about recoil but still desire performance. Barrel life is long, fun factor high and reloading costs low!
    Last edited by MrMajestic; 09-09-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlj1948 View Post
    thinking about building one and was wondering if anyone has one and how they like it
    There are a lot of folks who really like the Grendel.

The Grendel forum will have a lot more than one can easily type (and read) in a single thread: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/forum.php

What action are you planning to use?

There are even a few in the USA who have done bolt guns in this caliber, but more frequently in regions where legal issues make AR ownership problematic.

The shorter case allows for more compact and lighter rifles than is attainable with the cartridges derived from the .308 Winchester.

Sometimes folks go with a cartridge just because they like it. Very few who have tried the Grendel dislike it unless they want to compete in 1000 yard matches, then the larger 6.5's have a clear advantage.

thanks very much for the link and replies. i am going to use the savage short action

Basic Member
    Short action with the 7.62x39 magazine will work fine. I use 123 lapua's over 30.0 grains of BLC-2. For some reason when i try to form brass from 7.62 brass it just doesn't want to fit the bolt head so i use Alexander Arms branded brass (made by Lapua and much cheaper). Recoil is like a 223 and mine with me shooting off a rocky table and a bipod will shoot in the .3 - .5 range. Going to try it for deer hunting this year. So far the crows around here don't like it at all.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)