Thread: New .223 LRPV

pkt1

New .223 LRPV

My new toy is on its way, a Savage model 12 LRPV .223 in 1:9 twist.
    This is my first .223 and I have a few questions: I don't reload....yet
    and would like some suggestions for ammo- size & supplier.
    Another is the base for the scope rings, what is popular with the savage crowd,
    the scopes I'm considering so far are the Trijicon Accupoint 5-20 X 50 and Sightron 6-24x42 SII Big Sky.....scopes are tough for me because most I like online I've never seen in person.
    So any suggestions on Ammo, base, rings, scope would be Great, Thanks
    Oh my intended purpose is to punch paper at 200 meters.

There is no universal ammo. Every rifle is a little different, so start shooting and see what yours likes.
    I have never put alot of thought into rings and bases. I have Leupold, I have Weaver, I have NcStar. Use whatever makes you happy.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Clint KY
    And remember that your rifle is a .223 - NOT a 5.56 - there is a difference. You might be tempted to get some of the bulk "military" ammo, but don't do it. Do a search and see all the discussions of why you shouldn't.

...really, already?

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

Yes the CHAMBER is different. If you don't WANT to do it, that is perfectly fine. But to say you CAN'T is incorrect.

Clint KY
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    But to say you CAN'T is incorrect.
    I said he "shouldn't", not that he couldn't. He (and you) can do anything you want. That doesn't make it wise.

Basic Member
    Ammo- Black Hills if you dont reload. I have found this to be very accurate in my 12 fvss. I handload so dont use it much anymore. But did shoot some about 2 weeks ago and shot the 55 grain fmj in a 3 shot group of .182" at 100. Also shot a 3 shot 55 soft point group of .277" at 100yds. Great ammo at good price. FYI I use the blue box remanufactured ammo. I also shot the 50 gr Vmax and 60 gr sp. The fmj shot better and being cheaper will suffice for your paper punching needs.

55sp: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/133...ain-soft-point

55fmj: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/133...l-metal-jacket

Base- Depends if you want steel or aluminum. And standard such as leupold or picatinny.

Leupold: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/389...t-action-gloss

EGW Picatinny: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/113...60BrandPopProd

Rings- Depends on above choice.

Leupold: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/497...s-matte-medium

Burris: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/381...m-package-of-2

Scope- Sightron, Trijicon, bushnell elite, or Vortex are some good choices. Just stay away from the bottom of the line on these brands. The bottom of the line scopes are made in seperate countrys from the higher end scopes and the quality shows.

I would stay with 30mm main tube. I selected the 20 moa base but a stardard 0 MOA base would be OK for 200 yds/mtrs. The 20 MOA just gives you more to work with if you intend on eventually shooting further distances. Just buy the scope accordingly to the base you intend on using. The total internal adjustment should be 50 MOA+ if you use a 20 MOA base or you'll bottom you scope out at shorter distances.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint KY View Post
    I said he "shouldn't", not that he couldn't. He (and you) can do anything you want. That doesn't make it wise.
    Wording corrected and noted on my end.
    I think he should read, check his rifle, and decide. I disagree with it; but as you mention to each his own.

pkt1
    Thanks Guys for the replies, I apologize for the newbie questions but as I said this is my first .223 and also my 1st Savage,
    my other rifles have cut dovetails.....anyway I've started with a 2 piece Weaver base with Burris 30mm Signature Zee Rings,
    for Sightron SIII Long Range Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x50mm.
    I was aware of the .223 vs 5.56 and again was just feeling around to see if a particular factory ammo for Savage popped up
    so I just got a selection to evaluate. Thanks for the replies and links....now the wait begins!

Basic Member
    FWIW....my #10PH 22" with 1/9 twist shoots factory Hornady 55 V-Max to 1/2" @ 100yds with great consistency.
    Using a Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster scope.

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Wording corrected and noted on my end.
    I think he should read, check his rifle, and decide. I disagree with it; but as you mention to each his own.
    Given this is a Large Shank barrel (LRPV), I believe this barrel can take a little bit more than a typical small shank barrel. Even so, I'm going to side with Clint on this one. I do NOT use any 5.56mm ammo in my LRPV (just doesn't make sense to me given the rifles capabilities).
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Westcliffe01
    Hornady 75gr HPBT superformance match ammo. Shoots 1/2" groups in my 10PC. Might have to make sure the action screws are snugged down, and possibly adjust the trigger to your liking (mine was too light).