Thread: Converting 30-06 to 308 help!

Sv650s42701

Converting 30-06 to 308 help!

I have a savage 30-06 that I put a 1 inch bull barrel in 308 on it. The bolt works great and it locks up good the only problem that I'm having is with the factory follower and spring that goes into the stock does not want to load the next round properly has anyone used a spacer or cut into the stock and converted to a magazine or does anyone know of another follower that could be purchased to make this work? Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Do you have a centerfeed of a staggerfeed? Does the Mag stay in the stock or come out with the action?
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Sv650s42701
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    Do you have a centerfeed of a staggerfeed? Does the Mag stay in the stock or come out with the action?
    I believe it is a center feed its a older action the mag stays in the stock and it doesn't hav a release for under the box it stays in the stock. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sv650s42701 View Post
    I believe it is a center feed its a older action the mag stays in the stock and it doesn't hav a release for under the box it stays in the stock. Thanks
    I think you are confused on what I meant by "stays in the stock". In you a quote above, you sound like you are describing blind magazines (which no matter what style will stay in the gun when the gun is assembled) and detachable magazines (which can be removed from the gun, like on an AR15 for an easy example).

You will have to remove the barreld action from the stock to find out which style you have. If the mag stays in the stock when you remove the action from the stock, then you have the newer centerfeed. If your magazine stays attached to the action when you remove the action from the stock then you have a staggerfeed. I would bet that you will have difficulty getting a 308 to feed from a 30-06 mag if it is staggerfeed. The Centerfeed style mag should feed it just great.

If you have a Centerfeed and trouble feeding, then a slight tweaking fo the feeding lips on the mag should cure the issue. On a Staggerfeed mag, you may also tweak the feed lips to help, but due to the design it will be more difficult to get right. I don't have a ton of experience with short calibers in a long SF mag so hopefully someone more experinced will chime in.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Sv650s42701
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    I think you are confused on what I meant by "stays in the stock". In you a quote above, you sound like you are describing blind magazines (which no matter what style will stay in the gun when the gun is assembled) and detachable magazines (which can be removed from the gun, like on an AR15 for an easy example).

You will have to remove the barreld action from the stock to find out which style you have. If the mag stays in the stock when you remove the action from the stock, then you have the newer centerfeed. If your magazine stays attached to the action when you remove the action from the stock then you have a staggerfeed. I would bet that you will have difficulty getting a 308 to feed from a 30-06 mag if it is staggerfeed. The Centerfeed style mag should feed it just great.

If you have a Centerfeed and trouble feeding, then a slight tweaking fo the feeding lips on the mag should cure the issue. On a Staggerfeed mag, you may also tweak the feed lips to help, but due to the design it will be more difficult to get right. I don't have a ton of experience with short calibers in a long SF mag so hopefully someone more experinced will chime in.
    I took the action off the stock it is a stagger feed. If anyone has adjusted the feed lip with success please let me know thanks.

stangfish
    Are you pulling the bolt back all the way?

Sv650s42701
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Are you pulling the bolt back all the way?
    Yes I am pulling the bolt all the way back the rounds just won't feed. It works great as a single shot but it won't feed the next round.

I changed a 110 square back from 30-06 to 308 and have no feeding issues at all,works great.All I changed was the barrel.Might have something to do with follower spring pressure.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sv650s42701 View Post
    Yes I am pulling the bolt all the way back the rounds just won't feed. It works great as a single shot but it won't feed the next round.
    I would pull the rifle from the stock and make sure the magazine is still engaged in the front and rear slots in the bottom of the receiver. When my rifle fails to feed, that is usually the cause. It allows the mag to drop a tad, and the rim of the cartridge drops low enough that the bolt doesn't catch it. You will not be able to tell without pulling it out of the stock. I had to tweak my magazine a bit to make more pressure holding it in the slots. Recoil was popping it back out.

If it's still in there, make sure it's snug. Also, if neither of the above are true, the feed lips might have gotten bent? Maybe?

Good luck.