Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headspace question, 22-250 and brass life.

Basic Member

Headspace question, 22-250 and brass life.

Bought a new X-Caliper barrel for my 22-250. It's an 8 twist so I plan to load as heavy as I can, so brass life may be an issue.

I'd like to headspace it using new Lapua brass and a couple of layers of scotch tape to get a good tight headspace and try to limit case expansion/growth.

My question is; how tight is tight enough?

Thanks for any advice or experience you can lend.

Well.... FWIW
    As long as you don't over-pressure things, brass life should be completely normal. "signs" of excessive pressure, mean VERY excessive pressure, that's why many think brass life is short in certain things. Typically Lapua tests cases to 130% of cartridge pressure. So when you "notice signs" you can bet you are near 130% of operating pressure.

I've never understood the tape part, personally. What that does is allows the gauge to appear longer, than it otherwise is, meaning that you have more headspace, not less.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    ^ Yes ^ JMNSHO...as long as the case will chamber, the "best" head space, is "zero" head space.

Now, that being said, if you find the longest piece of Lapua brass you have (to the datum line), and set the head space to it, a go gauge would probably not chamber. If you want to get the chamber closer to the go gauge, you could then add tape, but I have no idea how many layers it would take to get you where you want to be. I only shoot My reloads, so I don't mess with the tape.

For Me, next step is to fire a reload in that chamber. Then & only then is that case ready for "serious" reload. :-) again JMO

Basic Member
    My LGS says that clear packing tape is 0.002". So if you set on the "go" ga and then add tape and use it as a "no go" you will have 0.002. Then remove on confirm your "go" ga again.

Basic Member
    The reason I'm asking is that I am currently shooting this Factory chambered model 12FV and am experiencing case growth of about .002". I bump the shoulder in a FL die, and note that the neck grows about .006". So I trim the necks whenever case length goes over SAMMI spec of 1.912".

This sounds pretty typical to me, from what I read, but I'm fairly new at the whole bump and trim process. My 223 is neck sized only and I never have to bump the shoulder to get good fit.

So in setting up this new barrel, I'm hoping to lessen case growth and lengthen the life of my expensive brass, if that is possible, by setting a tight headspace.

Do I really need a go, no-go gage set, or will a new unfired Lapua case work as well, presuming I do as FW suggests and pick the longest one, and then use tape as Strut suggests as the no-go gage?

Please note; it is my understanding is that this new barrel has a SAMMI spec chamber.

Basic Member
    A single go gauge and tape will suffice. Problem with headspacing on a case is the shoulder area is soft in compression compared to a gauge. It takes a lot of 'feel' to get it as consistent as a true tool steel go gauge. Unless you have case length gauging its hard to verify the case you're using is close to correct. In most cases if you only have one rifle and reloading setup for this caliber you'll be OK, but if you have two or more and want to size cases to fit both at the same die settings you can chase your tail trying to headspace multiple rifles via the case method.
    You're better off headspacing slightly long than short, because your resizing dies ain't gonna size for a short chamber, and the extra compression using the case headspace method can lead to a short chamber. I think the tape on a case was a wise suggestion.

I'm also personally a fan of clamping the action tight in an action wrench to lock the barrel to action together once headspace has been established before nut tighten.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Well.... FWIW
    As long as you don't over-pressure things, brass life should be completely normal. "signs" of excessive pressure, mean VERY excessive pressure, that's why many think brass life is short in certain things. Typically Lapua tests cases to 130% of cartridge pressure. So when you "notice signs" you can bet you are near 130% of operating pressure.

I've never understood the tape part, personally. What that does is allows the gauge to appear longer, than it otherwise is, meaning that you have more headspace, not less.
    It really depends on your objective.

I think a lot of it comes from the military where brass life is a laugh, all they want it to do is work.

Ergo, good chamber clearance, plenty of headspace.

Brits and the 303 are famous for it, 3 reloads and its a goner no matter what you do.

From personal experience, the Model of 1917s out of the box almost fail a field reject gauge.

What you are doing with the tape on the go gauge is making it act like a no go gauge (or someplace in between depending on how thick a piece of tape you use or layers)

Hunting you also do not want tight, not as much as military but not cramp in tight.

Target shooting, whole different story. I am inclined to tight but not where there is pressure on the bolt closing. That's just me, YRMV, I am just shooting targets these days

Basic Member
    Thanks, guys. There's some sage advise in your responses, and I think I'm going to use the best technique I can muster, and borrow or buy a headspace gage. I plan to shoot long distance and as accurate as I can, so I'm thinking its best to NOT leave room for doubt by short cutting the assembly.

For the record, I'm not the kind of guy start at max load and go up from there. I pay attention to signs of overpressure, and I now have a good chronograph so no more guessing about velocity/pressure.

Darkker, I'm heeding your advise and going by the manuals listed velocities.

Once I've got this figured out and shooting well, I expect Savage will have another sale and it'll be time to buy another 12FV for a 6mmBR build. Down the rabbit hole I go!

I have a different school of thought here and it has worked extremely well for me in the past. FWIW in my rifles I only shoot handloads.

If I am adjusting a factory installed barrel for minimum headspace, what I like to do is take 2 or 3 cases that were fired in the barrel and run them through my FL die or body die (depending on situation), then set my headspace to that sized brass. Add a piece of scotch tape to get the no-go. From there on out I neck size only until the brass get to where it won't chamber easily. Then I just run it back through the FL die at that time and start the process over. Doing it this way I have nearly eliminated trimming in many chamberings and I feel I am getting the best brass to chamber alignment situation also.

If I am doing a new uninstalled barrel then I like to install as normal with gauges, if no gauges can be procured then I will do as someone stated above and use the longest piece of brass I have. Then repeat process I just described above.

FWIW I prefer to use the Lee Collet Dies for neck sizing wherever possible. I have had great luck with these on Standard and the Ackley Versions of all my chamberings.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    ^ I like the way You roll "boots" :-) ^

Basic Member
    The new go-gage arrive today from Midway. I had installed the new 22-250 barrel a few days ago and had used a new Lapua case to set headspace. Bolt closed on new case, would not close on new case with one layer of Scotch tape (.002 thick). Ejector and extractor are removed from bolt head.

Today I chambered the Go gage and the bolt would not close on it. If I have learned anything, this means I have adjusted the headspace to below SAMMI specs.

Presuming I am going to shoot only hand loads, and can adjust my FL die to bump the shoulder to fit MY chamber, is the way to limit case growth?

Thanks for any help.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    The new go-gage arrive today from Midway. I had installed the new 22-250 barrel a few days ago and had used a new Lapua case to set headspace. Bolt closed on new case, would not close on new case with one layer of Scotch tape (.002 thick).

Today I chambered the Go gage and the bolt would not close on it. If I have learned anything, this means I have adjusted the headspace to below SAMMI specs.

Presuming I am going to shoot only hand loads, and can adjust my FL die to bump the shoulder to fit MY chamber, is the way to limit case growth?

Thanks for any help.
    New virgin brass typically runs a few thousandths less head clearance than minimum chamber headspace. Since you're only reloading its not a big deal resizing the brass to fit the chamber provided your die and shellholder will allow it. Now, if you have to shorten the die and or use a holder with less deck height you may want to use the gauge to reset the HS and fire the brass as-is. Its six of one or a half dozen of the other depending which way you want to go.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Back to brass life. Now that you have head spaced your rifle are your dies set up correctly?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Back to brass life. Now that you have head spaced your rifle are your dies set up correctly?

I'm not sure what is correct, which is why I am asking for your experience. I do know that I had to bump the shoulder every time I reloaded to get the round to chamber in the previous barrel. I also had to trim the necks every two cycles. And I foresee that this is going to eventually cause case separation if I don't toss the case beforehand. The question is how many cycles, and what can i do to reduce case stretch?

That is the essence of what I am inquiring here. In setting up this new barrel, what can I do to reduce case stretch or elongation during each cycle?

Thanks for any help!

Basic Member
    This is the problem I was speaking of when trying to headspace with a case. The brass case is easily compressed a few thou, especially with shallow shoulder angle cases, the solid steel gauge is not. Quite frequently when headspacing on a case the chamber ends up shorter than the die can resize brass to.

The new go-gage arrive today from Midway. I had installed the new 22-250 barrel a few days ago and had used a new Lapua case to set headspace. Bolt closed on new case, would not close on new case with one layer of Scotch tape (.002 thick). Ejector and extractor are removed from bolt head.

Thanks for any help.

Basic Member
    22-250 is a barrel and case eater. You'll be tempted to increase speeds (its an addiction) which will shorten case life even further. But its fun while it lasts. Expect 2-3 reloads on Remmy brass, double that for better brass. Get a LR primer pocket 'swage gauge' from Sinclair- every reloader needs one of these! Throw brass away when the primer pocket gets loose, you get a radial line about .200" up from the rim (case head separation parting line), or a split neck.

Set up your dies so the resized case won't chamber with tape on the head, excessive headspace on multiple firings is where the case head separation comes into play.

I'm not sure what is correct, which is why I am asking for your experience. I do know that I had to bump the shoulder every time I reloaded to get the round to chamber in the previous barrel. I also had to trim the necks every two cycles. And I foresee that this is going to eventually cause case separation if I don't toss the case beforehand. The question is how many cycles, and what can i do to reduce case stretch?

That is the essence of what I am inquiring here. In setting up this new barrel, what can I do to reduce case stretch or elongation during each cycle?

Thanks for any help!

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=Scott Evans; Set up your dies so the resized case won't chamber with tape on the head, excessive headspace on multiple firings is where the case head separation comes into play.[/QUOTE]

Yep, did that. Won't re-chamber after firing, except with effort. Bump the shoulder .0015 to .002 and chambers easily. But the neck grows .006 every resize.

Basic Member
    But the neck grows .006 every resize.
    Nature of shallow shoulder angle, tapered body, high pressure cartridges. They all do this, the brass flows. Going AI reduces this.

Case head separation is caused by the case being undersized in the head space dimension, or from base to shoulder. When the case base to shoulder dimension is shorter than the chambers bolt face to shoulder dimension the case grows just above the web area.

Brass flow, where the neck gets longer does not cause case head separation. as Scott said sharper neck angles reduce or practically eliminate the flow.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

just my opinion

Well I see 2 issues here original barrel installation headspace

and adjusting the sizing die for minimal headspace on fired brass.

I am a firm believer in headspacing with a go/no go set of headspace gauges while installing your barrel

Then after fireforming your brass setting up your sizing die for a bolt gun at a 0.001 to 0.0015 shoulder bump.

Basic Member
    Well, I set the headspace with the gage, but set it a bit tight. Bolt closes about half way on the gage and get tight. It closes easily on the unfired, Lapua case, and closes with a little effort on the case with one layer of scotch tape. So I am just under SAMMI spec by about half a thou, maybe a full thousandth.

If I read it correctly (m12lrs) , it comes down to FL sizing die adjustment, and I think I've got that down pretty good now. Thanks for the responses, guys.

Gonna take it out Thursday and see how it shoots the 80 grain A-Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Evans View Post
    Nature of shallow shoulder angle, tapered body, high pressure cartridges. They all do this, the brass flows. Going AI reduces this.
    +1 Yes indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Case head separation is caused by the case being undersized in the head space dimension, or from base to shoulder. When the case base to shoulder dimension is shorter than the chambers bolt face to shoulder dimension the case grows just above the web area.

Brass flow, where the neck gets longer does not cause case head separation. as Scott said sharper neck angles reduce or practically eliminate the flow.
    I would add, although may not apply to this particular loader. Federal is well known to have dangerously soft case heads. They like very soft brass for case obturation and accuracy. While that does work, it is at the price of very short case life.

Basic Member
    ^ Does this mean that a fire formed case, neck sized and reloaded, is a good thing? ^

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    ^ Does this mean that a fire formed case, neck sized and reloaded, is a good thing? ^
    you can neck size only until the cartridge will not chamber. That depends a lot on the cartridge and how hot you load it. Then you will have to at least bump the shoulder if not full length resize.

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    I agree with M12lrs above. But in the case of extra soft Federal heads; yes.
    I'm not saying that they ALL are bad/dangerous/etc, but have found many more than I care for. We've had them seperate while testing with the Pressure Trace too.
    Personally I took a hammer to any remaining that I found. Assuming a decent rifle and not over-loaded, head-seperations aren't typically a terrible event. So use them, don't, whatever makes your day. Just be aware that a seperation with one isn't inherently from pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast