Thread: Savage 220F failure to Eject ????

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Westcliffe01

Angry Savage 220F failure to Eject ????

So folks, my 2012 model 220F came in this week and I took it to the range today.

I was very puzzled after the first shot, since the shell extracts from the chamber fine, but absolutely will not leave the bolt. The bolt has a notch (7:30 position seen from the rear) for a receiver mounted ejector but the receiver has no ejector pin / rod/ blade whatsoever ??? I have looked at the receiver for clues where one would go, but it is not obvious.

Anyway, I was sighting in the rifle, so I pulled each shell off the bolt by hand, pretty tedious. I got it sighted in more or less at 50 and 100 (I think it is about an inch low at 100) and I did not go further in case the rifle has to go back to the factory. Box of 5 saboted slugs ~$13 so nearly as expensive as shooting a 50 cal... I was holding off thinking that the larger pistol cartridges were going to be OK'ed for zone 3 but that soon petered out... I figure if I shoot 15 rounds in a year that will be a lot.

So, anyone who has a 220F, could you take a picture of your receiver from the magazine well with the bolt drawn back, so that we can see if there is a mysterious ejector hidden in there somewhere ????

Edit: OK, had a closer look in better light and found the slot for the ejector blade, but as expected - no blade in there ...

I have been to the Savage website, but it does not recognize my serial number ???? So no schematic to look at.
    Last edited by Westcliffe01; 09-01-2012 at 10:51 PM.