Thread: Removeable pistol grip (AR Style) stock options for new savage build???

jrmy_1

Removeable pistol grip (AR Style) stock options for new savage build???

I'm looking for a stock to fit a new Savage model 116 build I'm putting together. I was hoping for a pistol grip type stock with an almost AR15 type look and feel to help reduce muzzle rise. About the closest that I've found so far is the Choate Long Action Sniper Stock. Are there any other options? I will also be modifying the stock to with a removeable box magazine so I would like some compatibility.

Thanks!

lwink

Re: Removeable pistol grip (AR Style) stock options for new savage build???

If you had an unlimited budget check out these:

http://mcreeprecision.com/

I've also wondered if savage would sell this stock to you, might be worth giving them a call but I would bet the odds of it are pretty slim:

http://savagearms.com/10batsk.htm

I have a choate short action in the ultimate varmint series, I really do like it, but either this one or the sniper is going to make carrying the rifle anywhere fairly tough unless you have a shorter and or varmint contour barrel. With a 28" bull contour (1" at muzzle) you'll be sitting at 14 pounds with the Ultimate sniper and barrel, 12+ with the Ultimate Varmint and barrel. Add 4-5 pounds for action and scope and you can see it's heavy, pushing 20lbs with a bipod on the Ultimate Sniper. If you only want a 20" varmint barrel (.750" - .800) you'd probably be alright to carry a little ways.

jrmy_1

I'm starting to think that it would be best to go with the McCree's stock as I want a removeable magazine and if I go with the Choate, I'll have to fit bottom metal, bed and I won't have adjustable LOP. I'm sure by the time I'm done with the Choate, I'll have nearly the same amount of money into the stock and a whole bunch of extra time. I guess I'll have to save up for the McCree.........

lwink

No question if you can save up for it you'll be happy with it. I've heard nothing but good things about them, although I did try to contact them twice with no response, which makes me wonder about customer service? Could have just been bad timing as I have heard mostly good things about them.

nhm16

A gentleman who does business as http://www.longrangeresearchcenter.com/ also sells McRee, and seems to be pretty responsive. He posts on Sniper's Hide.

firemachine69

Very nice. But I'm afraid of stocks listed without an MSRP on a website. ;D

lwink

I did get in touch with Scott at Mcree's -- he is a super nice guy, just a little busy with business. Seems to be a little more caught up of late and is a top notch guy. I wish I had the money to give him some business, but if you think about getting any other stock with bottom metal for AICS mags they're not that much above what a fiberglass stock it, and you get all Aluminum. Just wanted to recant my previous statement about their iffy service as I don't think that was a fair assessment on my part.

jrmy_1

Thanks for the update. I also got in touch with him and he was very nice and very informative. He also has a pretty short turn around time. He basically said it would be a month at the longest to get a stock built and shipped. I thought that was pretty quick.

lwink

Quote Originally Posted by jrmy_1
    Thanks for the update. I also got in touch with him and he was very nice and very informative. He also has a pretty short turn around time. He basically said it would be a month at the longest to get a stock built and shipped. I thought that was pretty quick.
    You're right about that!! In the land of 4-5 months that's a drop in the bucket! Would you mind sending me a pm with the price he quoted you at and what stock you went with??

jorvin

check out PDC custom stocks. they are aluminum and are a great product. look at his web sight!!!

Basic Member

I ordered a McRee stock yesterday and got a UPS notice today that delivery is scheduled for Thursday. I was lucky though. He had the chassis I wanted in stock and they're about to be tied up with the SHOT show. Also, i ordered my stock uncoated. The ceramic coating adds time to the order.

Scott is great to deal with. I called and asked a bunch of questions before ordering.
    Stevens 200, .260/ Sin Arms Brux #7, 24"/ Stockade Woodchuck/ Rifle Basix SAV1/ Nikon Buckmaster 4x-14x-40mm

Basic Member

Everytime I called, Scott answered his phone and we talked for a while. I am leaning towards a Mcree stock in the white. I wanted to refinish it myself since he only offers two color choices currently.

CL1KKL4C

also.. (not quite the AR style u mentioned) AICS has said to be coming out with a chassis system for the savage. Chances are its only the 10 short action, but I dont remember exactly. I stumbled across a thread on the hide about a month back.