Thread: Late to the Party, new Axis Youth model, want full size stock too

Basic Member

Late to the Party, new Axis Youth model, want full size stock too

I am a reasonably long time savage nut, and have recently added an Axis 243 for my son. I really did not research much, but know roughly what I am getting for that price point. What have been any common, if any, issues with them that I may be missing. One concern I have is the use of plastics for parts that may see a fair amount of use, safety area, clip, etc.

I opened it up and was surprised to see the extent of differences between the axis and the 110 series. Also, where can I find an adult size factory stock without going back to Savage. The youth model comes with a 50% off deal, but I dont know what that will end up costing.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

thomae
    Unless you make your own stock, Savage is the only place to get one. There are a few individuals who have handmade stocks (very nice, I must add) but no commercially available ones yet.
    Do a search in the Axis/Edge part of the forum and you will find many trigger and stock modifications, some of which have been done, and some which are simply discussed.

I believe the coupon gets you the stock for approximately $40.00, but don't quote me on that price.

fgw_in_fla has a number of posts about his success with his 25-06 axis.

There is also a sticky about a trigger mod, shimming the trigger to remove side to side slop.

I hope this helps.

Basic Member
    Shot it yesterday, the recoil pad is really nice and protective for my son. I loaded light loads of H4895 with a 80gr (about 2700 fps) and he did really well for his first time with a centerfire gun. I am going to work him up gradually and hope to have him up to about 2900 before the season starts.

I have not shot for groups yet, but it seemed pretty consistent so far while zeroing and ramping up on load levels. Shot 1, cleaned, no copper, then shot 10, cleaned, no copper. I will give it a good cleaning and inspection at home this week and hope to have him shoot it a lot this weekend.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

Basic Member
    Good to hear.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Baja - I have a bunch of pics & info showing a way to make the Axis / Edge "Flex - O - Matic" stock into a good, useable stock. Personally, I like the feel & design of the Edge stock. I'd like it a whole lot more if it didn't wiggle so much.

I've shot some pretty incredible groups with my 25.06, like my friend thomae mentions. Look on my profile & bring up some old posts & you can see the results of my efforts.

If there's anything I can help with (or anyone here) holler out. We have a good group of gents here as you probably know....

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Just did the trigger pull reduction by cutting down the spring. Took out 1.75 coils, the first one was flattened so it did nothing for the pull weight. Started at 6.5 lbs and it is now 4.5 lbs. It is staying at that level for a while since it is my sons gun. He is going to learn with a slightly heavy trigger pull.

Gmac5
    Pm sent about spare stocks and barrels
    GARY

Basic Member
    your PM did not make it, I was over the limit, what limit? I deleted some, maybe I am under the limit now.

Gmac5
    Do you still need fact axis stocks if so ive got some . PM ME or call 561-963-2848
    gary

Basic Member
    thanks gary, I dont need one now. I was thinking about a few years or more down the road as my son grows, but I may have a desire or two to buy another gun between now and then!! I did call savage, but did not write down the 50% price ( 52 or 62 bucks, maybe )