Thread: old reloading books

M.O.A.

Question old reloading books

i have some old reloading books

1968 hornady handbook

1970 45th lyman reloading handbook

and 1971 pacific cartridge reloading manual

is there any value in these uthere than just a good read as i have reed most of all of them already

Powder formulas have changed for some of the powders. They are sometimes now way off!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

davemuzz
    I would agree with Blue-A. Nice to have around as "coffee table" books. But I'd stick to the new one's for current and competent data. Why risk a buldged barrel (or worse) in your $$$$$ gun.

MHO

Dave

The old boos are excellent reading even though the inevitable drift of powder formulations make the actual load data untrustworthy.

I can't find my book by Pope, but I still have my 1943 copyrighted Phil Sharpe along with several of the same vintage. I have discovered that there are a number of details that seem to have been left out of more modern references. Some of it is the personal touches by the authors...

M.O.A.
    yes thanks guy i was just woundering about the book. i dont use them just read them for kicks and a look back time before i was

Sometimes they are good for cast bullet loads.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

acemisser
    I have tons of the old Lymanbooks..Back to number one...I think the loading data was pretty hot in some of them..

Of course then,not everyone one was ready to sue someone...As faras money value...I don't think they are worth
    more than 5 to 10 bucks apiece if in good condition....I have a Phil Sharps book,must be 2 inch's thick....Now that
    has some pretty interesting reading....

I would give 20.00 for them! pm me if interested in selling.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

M.O.A.
    ion i think im going to hang on to them for right now but thanks for the offer

I agree with with BlueAvenger, and will add to it.
    ONE of the reasons ALSO, is that pressure testing WAS done with Copper crushers; listed in CUP.
    Those have been proven to be quite un-reliable with regards to ACTUAL pressures, in the pressure range that MOST current rifles operate.
    Just a state of Evolution,
    Lead crushers, until pressures became to great for reliable readings, then Copper, Now Piezo electric transducers, or Strain gauges.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Luckus
    I have some old books too, and the data is generally hotter, but maybe the new books are too light.

acemisser
    I think you will find that a lot of todays loading data is lower
    because of liability..They have no idea what kind of
    condition ones rifle or handgun,etc is in...Thats why if
    I do load for anyone,I want to check out the rifle befor hand..

M.O.A.
    i hear you on that one ace i just wont do it

Basic Member
    If I have old lots of powder, I like to have load data that is contemporary to that powder. Otherwise, I prefer to use the newest data, measured with the best and most suitable equipment/tools.

I think you will find that a lot of todays loading data is lower
    because of liability.
    I see no evidence of this anywhere, unless what you're trying to say is something along the lines of: "Now that we have tools that allow us to better characterize the stresses on the rifle/barrel system from our previous load data, we can clearly see that DAYM! WE GOTTA BACK OFF SOME OR SOMEBODY GON GIT BLOWED UP! WE'S AT PROOF LOAD LEVELS ON EVER SHOT!" The strain gauges on Nosler's barrels in their ballistics lab, for example, simply do a better job of measuring pressure (rather, measuring the actual strain on the bbl steel, which is all we are trying to approximate when we look at pressure) than the older sytems. Lyman publishes the actual average pressure they get with every load, so everyone can see for themselves that nothing's been lowered for 'liability' reasons. Hodgy does the same thing. This ridiculous conspiratorial fear REALLY needs to die.
    Last edited by MZ5; 08-30-2012 at 01:10 PM.

JCalhoun
    The books from the mid-70's and earlier usually have good info for "obsolete" cartridges like the .300 Savage. A friend of mine's RCBS book from 1976 has twice as much load data for the .300 Savage than do all of the new manuals put together.