Thread: reduced recoil load for 308 with 175 gr SMK 1 IN 10 TWIST

acemisser

reduced recoil load for 308 with 175 gr SMK 1 IN 10 TWIST

Is there such a thing as reduced recoil loads using the 175 gr SMK
    in a 1 in 10 twist barrel...My grandson has been wanting to shoot
    the 308,and I don't want it to kick him too much..The only bullet
    that appears to be accurate is the 175 grainer...And reloader 15..
    Any ideas on this..He is anxious to shoot it..thanks

thomae
    Try Trailboss. It is designed for reduced loads.
    Here is alink to the explanation and some sample loads from IMR, who makes the powder.

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

M.O.A.
    how old is he

and you can try the accuracy load from lyman 45th edition for the 180gn witch is 42.0gns of h380 or 41.0gns of imr 4895.

the h380 is listed as the start load and the imr 4895 is about in the middle

acemisser
    he is 14 right now.But he is small for his age...Hate to discourage him first thing....

Thanks for the added information....Ace

davemuzz
    IMR has a published PDF file with specific "youth loads" for some of their powders. They list some loads for the .308, but using some bullets in the 125gr. to 135gr. range. Personally, I think those are plenty heavy enough to down a whitetail as I've dropped 'em with a 130gr. Barnes with no problems. FWIW. Here's the link to the IMR published data: http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf

I hope this can help.

Dave

Been using the load data Dave mentioned in my step son's .30-06. He was 17-18 when he got it (Rem 700 BDL) and quickly decided that while 180gn full-house loads might be fine for elk season, plinking and taking pot-shots at the occasional coyote or rock-chuck with same was *not* much fun. Been running Speer 125 or 130 gn TNTs over 39gn H4895, and he loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    Is there such a thing as reduced recoil loads using the 175 gr SMK in a 1 in 10 twist barrel...My grandson has been wanting to shoot the 308,and I don't want it to kick him too much..The only bullet that appears to be accurate is the 175 grainer...And reloader 15.. Any ideas on this..He is anxious to shoot it..thanks
    It's called a 125gr bullet.....

Seriously,
    You have an established accurate load, when you CHANGE it, are you really expecting the SAME accuracy without doing ANY development?? Also, do you really wanna "plink" with $36+ a box match bullets?
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Hodgdon publishes some youth loads as well but not with the heavy bullets.
    Here's a link. I hope it helps.
    http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20R...le%20Loads.pdf
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

My Load Book for the 308 shows 24 to 28 gs of IMR4198 for a 180 gr Speer bullet.Should work for you but when you slow that bullet down it may not be as accurate as full speed loads are,you usually have to push them fast to keep them stabilized. Is this just for target shooting? That wouldn't be a very good hunting bullet slowed down.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    After starting with a 223, I converted by son's rifle to a 308W when he was 11 yr old. Plain jane 22" sporter barrel. I have only used the Hodgdon youth loads mentioned about. I will never forget his first sub-1" group. It hangs above his door. The 125 Noslers have been one-shot kills in the past two years. However for playing and practice, it is hard to beat the 125 Speer TNT. I got the 500/box for $90 for NSS a few years back. I shot these same bullets in my 30BR at club matches. I have several thousand put away. This summer he shot a practice F-Class match with a 308W. Was with a full 13 lbs gun but after 66 rounds of full power 175 SMK he was sore as he could be the next few days. However, after that - he wouldn't hesitate about shooting a full load at a deer. He wants full power loads this year. He is probably on the larger side for a 13 yr old - 5'7" at 150 lbs and in much better physical condition than his old man ever was.

Enjoy shooting with your grandson. My dad pasted before my boys got big enough to shoot much. However we cherish the fishing trips we had over the years.

Luck, Tim

Deerhunter 28
    No

PSE EVO 57 Lbs.
    Blacked out