I have a Savage 116 in .270 and am in the process of fitting it to a Boyds stock. The biggest reason for taking it out of the tupperware was the way it was shooting... This was my most accurate rifle, a real tackdriver. This all changed last season and I tried all of my tricks. I have torque wrenches and set everything perfect, tried some different torques, replaced scope mounts with Zee Mounts, cleaned barrel, shot it dirty....NOTHING WORKED!!

I couldn't figure it out. Well now I think I know what it was - a badly bent recoil lug. I'm glad I noticed it prior to bedding it to this stock.

When I have some free time this week I intend to replace the damaged recoil lug with a lug from SSS. I have a Barrel and Action Wrench. I have a vice and wood blocks. I have go-no go gauges.

Since I'm not in a hurry I sprayed some crawl on the barrel nuts and barrel threads.

Can any of you give me pointers or links to threads detailing this procedure? The how too's seem to have disappeared and I want to hear from some of you with experience....

Thanks!!