Thread: Savage 340 what sights will work?

Deerhunter#1

Savage 340 what sights will work?

First post here. I bought an old savage 340 30-30 today and it doesnt have a letter and is not drilled and tapped for the side mount. that said the open sights are still on it and in good shape. there are the two screws on the back of the receiver on the left side near the bolt which if correct would allow me to attach a williams style peep sight. What do you guys use with this model for sights. I saw that in a google search people have said that the metal on the receiver is real hard and many smiths would not drill it. would really like to scope it is it able to be done or should i just go with the peep? thanks

savageforme
    I bought a Savage Westpoint 842E (same as the 340) and it had a Savage Scope already on it. From the looks of it I would say the scope and mount were installed by a smith or the original owner not the factory. Because the mount is attached to the side of the receiver I would suggest it be installed by a gunsmith and an experienced on at that. If you have a strong background as a machinist you might give it a try. I can say that my rifle is dead on at 100 yrds with the 4x32 scope. I have seen the mounts and also matched scopes on Midway USA and Numrich Gun Parts web sites. The mount does not allow for more than approx. 1 inch fore and aft movement of the scope. If you decied on a scope I would suggest meeting with a gunsmith and have him measure the placement of the mount/scope to match your body build for proper and comfortable eye relief.
    Everything I have seen on the peep sights suggest that they fit into the tapped areas you mentioned. The problem with a peep sight might be in finding a set made for a rifle that has been out of production for so many years.

Williams gun sight model FP 340 works on these rifles. They also have a model with target knobs. Your best bet may be to order directly from the manufacturer (Williams) as these rifles have been out of production for so long. Not cheap (about $75) but I am pleased with mine.

argie1891
    i really dont think the metal is that hard find a gunsmith and have him drill and tap for the above williams sight i currently only have 2 model 340 rifles. i buy them fix them up and give them to my kids or grand kids. they make great starter rifles and are accurate and powerful enough to have a lot of fun with. argie1891