Thread: Adding powdered graphite to gun powder to eliminate static "cling"

John_M

Smile Adding powdered graphite to gun powder to eliminate static "cling"

Check out this subject at these FAQ's: http://www.ramshot.com/faq/ See FAQ #9

Have any others tried this? I have and it does eliminate static "cling" and doesn't appear to have an effect on accuracy. The inner portions of the powder measure and powder funnels are a little dirtier with the powdered graphite but that is easily removed with a little tapping. The barrel is a teensy bit dirtier after 40 or so rounds but I clean the barrel after each shooting session anyway.

For those who are willing to experiment a little, this option might be an acceptable alternative to anti-static cloths and washing plastic materials with dishsoap.

Just an idea that works for me! Others might be interested.

Lee has recomended that for thier dispenser for years, works good.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Use Ball Powder. It already has graphite in it. Run a hopper's-worth through the measure and it'll be well-coated.

82boy
    I coat the inside of my powder bottles with graphite, I usualy throw some BBs and some powder and run them in my tubler, to coat the bottles. You dont want to remove the residue, this is what keeps things free from static. I would caution using graphite powder to gun powder, as the diferences from one powder to the next may be just the coating, (Reloader 22 and 25 are a good example of this.) and yes graphite is a common coating used on powder. As you see in the article the state to use 1 teaspoon per pound, That means dont add 1 teaspoon each time you use it. As mentioned in the article are other methods of removing static such as rubbing the outside of the measurer with laundy static wipes, and actualy grounding the measurer. (It is not uncommon to see someone run a wire from their measurer , and gab the other end into the ground.)

John_M
    82boy, Thanks for the reasoned comments. Prior to my original post I had loaded just a few cartridges and the added graphite seemed to be a positive rather than a negative. Since the original post I've done A LOT of reloading. Two of the 1# cans of powder I used had a a little less than a LEVEL teaspoon of powder added and mixed very thoroughly. Adding the powdered graphite certainly did eliminate clinging powder granuales but the extra graphite created such a mess on my hands, the reloading trays and reloading bench that in the future I would rather deal with a few clinging granuales of powder than the mess created by the graphite. Oh well, the experiment worked ... I gained some very useful information.

The powders with graphite additive will be used until exhausted. No more adding powdered graphite to powders for me.

Basic Member
    Very interesting. I've never heard of this. The clinging powder has never aggravated me enough to search for a fix. But if the fix is just as messy, it's not worth it. Thanks for the info