Thread: Empty out canisters on powder hoppers

leo158

Empty out canisters on powder hoppers

Do you all that own electric powder dispenser empty them after use or is it ok to leave in if going to use again within a few days ? Thanks, Dan

I leave it in for a day or 2 but I make sure it is the only can on the desk with the measure. I only have 1 type of powder out at a time. Right now I load about 23 different calib.and have about 20 or so types of powder in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by bythebook View Post
    I leave it in for a day or 2 but I make sure it is the only can on the desk with the measure. I only have 1 type of powder out at a time. Right now I load about 23 different calib.and have about 20 or so types of powder in the shop.
    same for me if the humidity is not to high. had some go bad. got lumpy and hard from moisture! Think it took a couple weeks.
    Last edited by Blue Avenger; 08-27-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    same if the humidity is not to high. had some go bad. got lumpy and hard from moisture!
    Blue my shop is in my basement and I have it humidity controlled and air conditioned.

Leonardo63
    My practice is to empty everything when I'm done with a session. Just a good habit. That way I don't have to wonder. My shotshell loader on the other hand is always full-but I run one thing and one thing only with that and the powder/shot is capped.

Savage22-250
    I leave my powder in the machine but I write what powder it is on a piece of masking tape and stick it to the machine.

John_M
    Like Leonardo63, I empty all tools at the end of each reloading session. The only cannister of powder on my reloading desk is the one I am using. I feel safer when I "Keep It Simple, Stupid" (KISS) it.

Stay safe.

Basic Member
    Fast powders with NG will destroy your measure and cylinder (RCBS) if left in them.

Curtis12
    I have found it darkens the clear plastic hopper on my Dillon unit. No other detriment to any functionality though. I would dump it back into the original canister if I were not going to load for more than a few days, but I load at least a several of times a week and for me that is not an issue.

Curtis