Thread: mod.99 scope mounting

65rbdodge

mod.99 scope mounting

i have a 1973 mod 99e that i`m trying to mount a scope on but its not clearing the front sight. its a 1.5-4.5x32 scope with weaver 2pc bases and med. rings. i have the same set-up on an older 99eg with a 3-9x40 and it clears fine. it looks like the sight on the 99e is further ahead on the barrel, not clearing the scope. when the scope is placed in the rings it sits about 1/4" up out of the front ring. will high or extra high rings work?

Eric in NC

Re: mod.99 scope mounting

I would drift the sight out and replace it with a dovetail filler or "blank". Store the sight in a safe place and you can always put it back in.

I was told by my smith last week that it doesn't matter if you put low or high mounts on your 99 as long as they're the same hights. Check and make sure your mounts are th same. Just cause they say 99R or whatever your using doesn't mean they are the same.

Ebay has scope aligning bars that will save you alot of money in the long run.
    Savage- "never say never".

David Sinko

Pardon me if I'm missing something here, but how does a scope not clear the FRONT sight? Do you mean the rear sight? Or do you mean that you can see the front sight in the field of view when the scope is on 1.5X?

Dave Sinko

I think he's talking the front sight.

The blade is dovetailed and sits inside the ramp, you could knock the blade out of the dovetail of the ramp and it should give you plenty of space so that it wouldn't interfere anymore.

65rbdodge

my bad, i wanted to say the rear sight

If it's the rear sight then Erics right, drive it out and put a slot filler in and go on your merry way.

Make sure to drive it out from left to right with a brass punch and when you put the slot filler in go opposite.

David Sinko

On the subject of dovetail sight fillers, is it possible to get one that actually fits properly and does a proper job of blending with the barrel or is this a hit or miss proposition? My 99F came with a crude "filler" that looks like it was an original rear sight that was just ground off and reblued, with no attempt to dress it to the contours of the barrel. But at least that's better than just the empty dovetail slot. My Marlin 1895GS has the empty slot and I can't find a stainless or nickel plated filler to match.

Dave Sinko