Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Show your tactical/precision rifle/snipery/truck axle Savage!

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_W View Post
    ^^^ Nice looking rifle.

If you're measuring your groups after shooting the rifle as depicted in your pics - try moving over to the right and supporting the stock with a rear bag. An old sock full of sand or similar material will work to start with.
    Rice is also a cheap alternative. I have used a sock with rice on more than one occasion.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Thanks folks. After many many many recomendations to get a rear bag, I made one. I found some airsoft bbs and threw them in a sock. Wish I had done this a long time ago as the difference is huge. I'll be going on tomorrow morning again, will report back (with more pics:) )

Basic Member
    Sold the 10T shortly after and went a different route.

10 FCP-SR 20"
    XLR Element
    Argos Athlon 6-24x50 FFP - MOA

Have a 3 port brake and blast mitigation collar on the way, just need a good bipod now.

I forgot all about this thread... I can finally post one!! XLR's getting pretty popular...

EDIT: 17.25lbs. 24" Shilen S8 profile barrel is probably 40% of this.

Here's one in a little different flavor. A 110FP in 25-06
    I really like the amount of room provided to the loading/ejection port by the rock solid 2 piece Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases.

Last edited by big honkin jeep; 11-24-2016 at 11:16 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

ETZoomin

Whiskers
    BigHonkinJeep: How did you paint your stock. I really like that.

Doc S

My newest Savage

Just got my Cabela's special .223 Remington 12 FV put together with a Choate Tactical stock and Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 scope. Very comfortable setup for me. Pure target shooting, so the 14 1/2 pounds isn't a big deal. May try to find some F-Class Target competitions next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
    BigHonkinJeep: How did you paint your stock. I really like that.
    Thanks for the compliment It's a Choate tactical for a heavy barreled long action, the same model like the one doc posted above. Once I put my rifle in it I just thought it was too much black (if there is such a thing) LOL.

I used 4 different colors of rustoleum camo 2x ultra cover paint. A light "army" green, a khaki, a "deep forest" green, and a "earth" brown.
    This is the stuff https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-Camouflage-Ultra-Cover-2x-Deep-Forest-Green/35031512

I used a sea sponge like the ones they sell at hobby or craft shops, they even have the sea sponges at Wal mart in the craft section.

First things first was prep. I made sure the stock was completely degreased by wiping it down with denatured alcohol on a clean rag. Then, off to paint

Start with the light colors first. Sprayed the whole thing with a coat of Khaki gave it about 20 minutes to dry and then painted alternating light green slightly diagonal stripes. After it dried for a half hour or so, Then blot on the darker colors. I sprayed a puddle of the darker olive drab green onto a slick magazine page and dabbed the sponge into it. Then pressed the sea sponge with the OD paint onto the Khaki stripes. Then with a clean magazine page repeated the process using the darker brown over the lighter green stripes. Its basically darker forest green over light khaki brown and darker earth brown over lighter army green.

It's known as the "sponge camo" method and is the easiest way I know of to produce a professional modern looking pattern. It also provides a nice little bit of texture to the stock which I like.

Here's another one on a little carbine I did with just 2 colors a while back. This one is khaki and olive drab green using the same method. This one has several clear coats of Testors (model paint) "dull coat" spray lacquer on it After hunting season ( I don't want it to smell like fresh paint till after the season) I'll probably do the 4 color job on it to give it more of a woodland type pattern like I have on the 110FP.

Give it a try if you like the look. It's super easy and fun project. Heck I even did a cheap black nylon sling on the carbine and surprisingly it has held up for years.
    Good luck and I hope I'm not too far off the thread topic with this post.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 11-23-2016 at 12:48 AM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

243win

243win with Factory hunting ammo. Fed.100gr SGK, 5-shots at 109 yards

243win. with 107smk handload, 5-shots at 330 yards

308win FCP-K

300 WinMag.

308win. Left hand.

Basic Member
    Nice hand full of lefties!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Latest from the Predator!!

Savage Predator .243Win, Vortex Gen2 3-18, MPA BA Lite Chassis, Rifle Basix, Seekins, Weaver, Custom Recoil Lug, Atlas BT-10 Bipod, 20" Factory Savage tube @ 9.25" Twist, SilencerCo Harvester, Hogue Grip, MagPul 10rnd AICS, Super Sling 2, dry weight of 14.2#'s.

DK

500 Yards, slight wind, definitely cold outside, 6240ftasl = 1.028" group!!
    Last edited by RatMag; 01-19-2017 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Added details...
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Basic Member
    My 30-06 Axis with Nikon Buckmaster 4-12X40

twillis07

Savage Axis 308 HB in a Boyds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Basic Member

Give the picture posting a try.

7mm WSM, X-caliber 1-8twist, harrell precision brake.
    Hogue stock, PTG Bottom Metal, AICS 10rd 300WM magazine, Harris S Bi-pod
    Vortex Rings, and Vortex 6.5x20x44 Viper with EGW 20MOA rail
    Oversize bolt knob, Magnum bolt head, Ground recoil Lug.
    I need to rework the trigger.

Team Savage
    My Savage 10 in McRee chassis, 26" X-caliber 260AI barrel. 8-32 S3 Sightron mounted with Burris rings and a Nightforce 20 MOA rail. Target is back to back 5 round groups.

TMD11111

Ok, I'll play. Heres a couple of my Savages. Top one is a 6.5 Creedmoor 12LRP w/ Vortex Viper HS-T. Bottom one is my 10FCP-SR in .308 with a Vortex Viper which has since been replaced with a Leupold VX-6

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    CAPTBEACH asked for a dedicated forum, so I figure the least we can do is consolidate these types of builds into a "lookie here!" thread.

Here are mine:

Savage 110 action
    Savage 12FV 26" 1:9 223 Remington takeoff barrel (CBI 22" 1:7 light varmint 223AI barrel on order)
    McMillan A5 stock with CDI LA/308 mag DBM
    EGW 20MOA rail, Burris XTR low rings
    Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44

Savage 10FP action
    Criterion 26" 1:9 varmint contour 260 Remington barrel
    McMillan A5 stock with CDI DBM
    EGW 25MOA rail, Burris XTR low rings
    Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x50 FFP

Savage FV-SR
    Boyd Tacticool with DIP metal & krylon
    EGW 0 MOA rail, Burris Signature Zee rings with 20MOA inserts
    Weaver GS Tactical 3-10x40
    Very beautiful guns!!!

Team Savage
    Outstanding!!!!!!!! really like the paint

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMD11111 View Post

Ok, I'll play. Heres a couple of my Savages. Top one is a 6.5 Creedmoor 12LRP w/ Vortex Viper HS-T. Bottom one is my 10FCP-SR in .308 with a Vortex Viper which has since been replaced with a Leupold VX-6
    Awesome how you like the LRP? Hows the cheek weld on that stock, feel like you need a raise or adjustable cheek piece?

TMD11111
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    Awesome how you like the LRP? Hows the cheek weld on that stock, feel like you need a raise or adjustable cheek piece?
    The cheek weld is a bit low but nothing I cant live with. If anything the grip is rather large and my hands aren't small by any means.

Savage 12

Here's my Savage 12 in 6.5 Creedmoor I put together this summer. The HS Precision stock it came with shot 1/2 MOA, very respectable. I like aluminum chassis's so I ordered an MDT LSS XL for it.
    First two shots were .093 group. After about twenty rounds it was shooting.24" groups. Very happy. Scope is a Vortex Viper FFP 6-24 x 50. Buttstock is Magpul.

Basic Member
    Just got this put together today.

I'm liking it so far but only put 12 rounds through it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How about everyone start including the total weight of their rifle's with magazine (unloaded). Clearly none of these are lightweights, but it will give those looking a good idea of how different stock types or barrel profiles and other components will affect the overall weight. To the tenth of a pound would be ideal, but to the nearest pound will suffice if you don't have a digital scale.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    How about everyone start including the total weight of their rifle's with magazine (unloaded). Clearly none of these are lightweights, but it will give those looking a good idea of how different stock types or barrel profiles and other components will affect the overall weight. To the tenth of a pound would be ideal, but to the nearest pound will suffice if you don't have a digital scale.
    Just went back & edited my previous post - #279. Figured that's better than everyone reposting all of their rifles....