Thread: Iron sight alignment on switch barrels

dogtrainer

Iron sight alignment on switch barrels

I want to have two or more barrels for one Savage action. However, I want each barrel to have iron sights.

Can I have the barrels index marked so that each time I switch barrels the iron sights align properly on the top of the barrels?

Most of the barrels I see sold for the Savage action are without iron sights.

I want to create a pair of carbine lenght barrels with iron sights just in case the scope goes out while on a hunt.

I like the idea of having one action with one scope for many barrels.

Re: Iron sight alignment on switch barrels

Welcome to the SSF. I've always wondered about that to. I wish I had an answer for you, but I've never tried it. No doubt someone here can answer.
    Kelly

as long as you stay with the same receiver you can do it.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

okie2

I THINK THE SITES ARE PUT ON AFTER THE HEAD SPACE IS SET SO IF YOU TAKE ONE BARREL FROM A DIFFERENT RIFLE THE SITES WILL NOT BE ON TOP WHEN HEAD SPACE IS SET

Basic Member

None of my barrels have "irons" .......... and I notice that the barrel I just did ... my first installed ....... ended up with the stamped info all under the stock and out of sight so irons already installed would need to be moved.

Here's what I'd do in my case:

I'd use a receiver (peep) rear like the NEGC that clamps on a weaver type rear scope base and probably look for the NEGC or similar front banded sight that was tall enough to work with that elevated rear and see if it did not entail D&Ting.

Blue Avenger's point is to D&T once your barrel is installed and that would certainly work ....... especially if you are a one action show. But if you are going multiple actions as I likely will ...... I'd like the portability (and I have not checked on this) that a banded front might afford me.

For me, I'd rather not switch barrels just to get irons going ... it takes some time and I like to go careful on setting headspace. If you could live with the banded front sight base left on the barrel and just install the particular insert in, you'd have a cleaner set up with less or no re-zeroing issues.

But always keep this in mind: Headspace trumps ALL! The front sight position can't over ride safety.

But there is yet another avenue ........ a spare scope already zeroed that you swap to and just fine tune. ....... many roads ........

Regards

Three 44s

Basic Member

Here's a real kicker for ya. I have an older "J" series 243, I bought in '74, that came with iron sights. They were lined up correctly when I took it off to swap barrels. Later I put the 243 barrel back on, headspaced with Go-No Go guages, and the barrels is about 1/4 - 1/5 of a turn FARTHER in than before. I rechecked headspace several times and it was spot on, at least according to the guages (Forstner) and would close on the No Go guage in the original position.

To top it all off, it's now not as accurate as before >. That's the part that frys me the most.