Thread: Savage long action hinged floor plate.

Kilo 1

Savage long action hinged floor plate.

Hi guys,This my first time going into print but I'm always on this site. I improved my rifles accuracy by making sure the tang was clear of the stock, great advice I read here.. I'm a long time savage shooter from downunder(Australia) I'm in the process of building my long range varminter.I've had a 22/250 varminter for about 20 years in the old style 110 long action (l/hand) I'ts still on the original stainless barrel & still shoots like poison 1/2 MOA, i'ts been rechambered a couple of times. I'ts now chambered in 22/250 Ackley improved, & currently in a Ramline stock,Timney trigger,Farrell picatinny rail, burris tactical mounts & nightforce 5x22x56 Varminter scope. That tells you how old it is, Nightforce do'nt make this scope anymore.
    My problem is,I've brought 2 orginal lefthand stocks from Gunparts, both are semi finished in beautiful timber which I reckon is at least 20 years old.But, they have been inletted for a hinged floor plate, whereas my rifle is a blind mag type..The question is, Does anybody know where I can get a hinged floor plate from??
    Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated...

Basic Member
    Savage never made a hinged floor plate for your rifle. The first hinged floor plate models came out in 1962, and were a big disaster. Due to a design flaw, the floor plate would open upon recoil, dumping the magazine of it's contents. When they realized the boo boo, it was too late in the game to make a major change because they already had several thousand stocks configured to the original floor plate design. To remedy the problem, they made them into blind magazines by adding a solid floor plate to cover the original through hole. I suspect the stocks you purchased were originally for the old style detachable magazines. The bottom metal for these stocks have been obsolete for many years, with the latter years actually being either plastic, or in many cases the stocks were synthetic and no hardware( it was molded in the stock).
    You might just have to custom make something to cover the hole.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Kilo 1

Thumbs Up Re hinged floorplate

Thanks for the facts surrounding "the hinged floorplate" I was wondering why they were so cheap & a really nice piece of wood.. I suppose I could sharpen a point on it & use for a peg to hold the dunny door open..Seriously though, I think I'll have a go at making a wooden plug to fill the hole..
    Thanks again..
    ps CDI make bottom metal for the old style, but it costs over $260.00