Thread: Rear pillar notch

Basic Member

Rear pillar notch

I'm in the process of bedding a couple new stocks-actually my 4th and 5th Savage beddings. One thing that always bothers me is that milled off notch on the rear pillar to clear the sear linkage. It seems like a weak spot in the bedding system and it appears that the small amount of material that would have to be removed from the sear linkage to clear a full pillar would not be detrimental.

What am I missing here?

I've tried to consider manufacturing costs and that doesn't fly either-the lingage is obviously stamped, so one change on the die would provide the notch on all the rest of the pieces, but each of the pillars have to have a separate setup and cut.

Your Thoughts? Steve

Re: Rear pillar notch

If your bedding it, it is touching what? 0.1 or 0.2 percent of the piller. I would not worry about it.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

82boy

The newer sear is stamped but it has been hardened, and it is hard to cut them. They also have a hole drilled in them. the problem is when you notch them so that you can have a full pillar it makes them week and they have a tendency to crack in half. If I was going to notch a sear to clear a pillar I would start with a old style that was made in three pieces, they do not have the hole in them.

For all it is worth I would say you are better off just leaving well enough alone, they half pillar works and causes no problems. Many people have had excellent accuracy with using the half pillar, and Savage are very forgiving on bedding.
    If you have a single shot action I would say a better way to have a full pillar would be to drill another hole forward, and use a model 40 trigger guard, that is what Savage did on the model 12 benchrest.

z71rat

You are just making alot more work for yourself. However, if it bothers you that much, mark the sear and only remove enough material from the pillar till it fits and functions correctly. I wouldn't venture into any notching of the sear.

Just my $0.02 worth...

DK

Team Savage

I make my own pillars. I remove the trigger group before bedding. I bed in 2 steps. 1st, attach pillars to the action and just bed the pillars. 2nd, finish bedding the pillars and the recoil lug. I often have trouble keeping the rear pillar square with the action because of the notch. I am wondering if you could finish cutting the notch in the rear pillar after bedding it????

Bill

82boy

Hey Bill a word of advise, It is much easier just to bed the action at the same time as installing the pillars. I just place the pillars on the action tightened down with the action screws, and goop it all up, and put it together. I use electric tape to hole it together, and let it sit for a couple of days.