Thread: My first savage. 12FV in .223

Basic Member

My first savage. 12FV in .223

I picked it up last Wednesday and finally took it out to the range yesterday. Its a Savage 12FV with a Mueller APT 4.5-14x40 Tactical and a Caldwell 6-9 bipod. Attached is a picture of a 3 shot group at 100 yards shooting Remington UMC 50 gr jhp cheap stuff during the break in. Im very happy with this rifle. I wonder how well it will shoot with quality ammo. 1 hole? The range closed before I good try it out to 200 yards. The Mueller scope if pretty nice to but there is a few minor grips. Eye relief could be a little better. Also if your eye come a little of axis with the center of the scopes line of site you see black pretty quick. Tactical turrets work nice but have the slight bit of play in them between clicks. I'll keep it on here for a while and see if I can live with it. The optical quality is great. Very clear. Over all, for what I paid for the scope, I'm happy with it.
    Wino

Basic Member
    I have the same rifle, but I have the Mueller 4-16x 50AO/IR scope and have put three rounds of handloaded Hornady 75gr BTHP into one ragged hole at 100 yards. The rifle is extremely accurate.

I have the APV scope on a 10/22 and found the same issues you did. It's okay for now on the 10/22, but I think I will be putting a different scope on that rifle. The scope I have on my 12FV is much better than the APV.

Basic Member
    Good to know. I might pick up the 4-16x50 and put the APT on my Ruger10/22T.
    Thanks
    Wino

Team Savage
    You folks would be shocked at what the platform will do. I started with the same setup - the scope...... Now, I'm competing at 600 yard F Class Mid Range with the it. I've replaced the barrel and I'm shooting 90 grain Bergers... but you've got the makings of an awesome rifle.....
    MSG, US Army (R)/NRA F Class Match Director/NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    "The Nut behind the Butt is Responsible for the flight of the Bullet!"

Basic Member
    That is how my 112FV in 223 shoots too. They are awesome for just a factory rifle.

WaltherP99
    have the same rifle here with a Simmons WTC and Stockade P-Dog Tactical and it one-hole's on a consistent basis! AWEOME rifle!

Tarleton_Texan
    I have the same rifle, had a APT but now wears a bushnell elite 4200 but the mueller is a great scope. I also upgraded the stock to a Bell & Carlson medalist and am very happy with the combo. No sure what your plans are but I have shot out to 800 and shoot clay pigeons at 500 with my setup.

Basic Member
    I'm going to hunt with mine. I would love to put on a B&C Medalist but I'm worried that will put it over the tipping point as far as weight. My hunting spot for yotes is flat level ground but I'll do 7 miles round trip on average. Is your just a bench rifle or to you hunt with it?

Tarleton_Texan
    The B&C stock is very heavy, I do mostly prone shooting. Its very comfortable and the price is right. I would like to hunt more hopefully this fall I will be able too. I would like to do some prairie dog hunting though.

Basic Member
    Thats what I thought. As the rifle is now it will be ok in my 'yote spot but my ground squirrel spot will be a little hard as it is a hilly area. But I think I will have to hike less with this rifle. As accurate as it is I wont have to do as much maneuvering to close the gap under a 100 yards as I did with my .22lr. I think I can take the shots at 200 yards. Someday I would love to go hunt a P-dog town with this rifle.

Tarleton_Texan
    I usually carry the rifle with the muzzle in hand and stock over my shoulder, I have heard people call it "bush style" I would not want to carry it like that over rough country.