Thread: Stevens 200 308 need help converting to 338 RCM or 350 Remington Magnum

Stevens 200 308 need help converting to 338 RCM or 350 Remington Magnum

Good day

I have a short action center feed Stevens 200 chambered in 308. I would like to know what would be involved in convert to a 338 RCM or a 350 remington mag. I am going on a pig hunt in 8 months and would like to make a dual purpose pig/bear gun. I was also looking at the 358 winchester which I think would be the simplest conversion but it seems to be a bit slow compared to the other 2. I have converted other savages but nothing where I had to modify the bolt or possibly the magazine

Thanks

.... Unless you REALLY want one of those calibers, the 308 will handily do both of those jobs without pause.
    I don't know what the head diameter of those listed is, but assume the mag face. If you want to know HOW to disassemble your bolt...
    Take the screw/bolt OUT of the back of your bolt, remove the cocking handle and begin removing cocking piece, and firing pin assembly. PAY ATTENTION to how things come out. Push the retaining pin out of the front of the bolt, and remove the head. Replace with the appropriate size, and re-assemble.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Cycler
    Also consider the .338 Federal. It's also a simple conversion since it's basically a .338-08. As noted, unless you are faced with Grizzly or Brown bears, the .308 will do all you ask.

I agree that the 308 would be fine. Since I already have several other 308's and this is an extra one I thought it would be a good project. As far as the bolt goes that is where I am a bit confused I was looking for a mag bolt head for a short action and all the mag bolt heads I find state for long action only why is this. What is the difference betweent them. Since the gun will be used for Western Pa blackbear and an occasional pig hunt the 338 federal might be a simple solution depending on what I would get into with the bolt head.

Cool

I too recommend going with a .308-based case. You want a pig/bear gun where reliability is at a premium, but a belted case may not feed as reliably as the cartridge the action was designed for. Yes you can file on the action rails, but reliability may still be less. The .338 Fed and the .358 are both more powerful than the .308 if you feel you need more. No pig or black bear will know the difference between being hit with a bullet from the .358 WCF or the .350 Rem Mag. Both will penetrate plenty and kill quickly. Those animals are not rhino or Cape buffalo....

Sounds like the 338 or the 358 win are going to be it then. Not that I feel the need for more I just wanted a project to work on since I had an extra 308 that I was not using so I figured I would put it to good use. does anyone know if I can form 338 Fed from 308 brass.

blkhog
    Conversion to 338 Fed should be as simple as a barrel change. Brass can be formed, but commercial brass and ammo are available with the proper head stamp.
    338 fed has proven to work very well on our GA pigs and deer. I think you'll be well pleased.

Basic Member
    I think the 308 based rounds are far and away the better choice. The 338 Fed will equal the '06 with a 180gr, and that or the 210gr will be as near ideal as you can get.
    my personal choice would be the 338 since there is a much wider range of bullets in 338 vs 358.
    Also, as a side note, I have read the 350RM is hindered by the short action, especially with the heavier bullets. With lighter bullets it doesn't have much over the 358 Win and if you go to long action it bas to compete with the 35 Whelen.