Thread: weekend fun in colorado

weekend fun in colorado

Went home to Colorado this weekend to do chores for the folks while they are away at sales. Been having some problems with one of the bulls jumping the fence into the neighbors. Apparently he didn't think we gave him enough girlfriends. Well in the process of talking to the olds man and neighbor, found out that the pdogs are starting to move back in. Well, I want going to waste an opportunity like that. Called my Coyote hunting partner and went out Saturday morning after we got the bull back home. The average shot was in the 250yd range, with a few in the 400+. Estimate a depopulation of about 50 dogs. It has been a long time since I've found a town we could shoot all day. Had to quit because I didn't bring enough ammo. The arsenal was as follows. Two savage m12 204, one term 700 .204, a savage 17 hmr, and a 22 mag lever. Had s great time shot a lot of prairie rats, got a lot of trigger time.

This is me with my 204 in my left hand and his on my right.

My Coyote hunting buddy Aaron.

We went to the lake later that afternoon.

Last edited by 87predator; 07-15-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    12 LRP .204, 200 .243 project rifle. (action), 116 SS action, 200 270

watch out for the lawn tiger! he smells a nice looking fish!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

It want too much later, there was a herd if lawn tigers. We were afraid for our lives.

N8Will
    What lake did you hit?

We hit North Sterling. Went mid afternoon.

Basic Member
    I made my first visit to Co. last fall when my son got married in Denver. I'd never seen a PD until then. I'm use to shooting groundhogs back East, where 5 or 6 is a GOOD day!
    First thing I said to my son was "I'm coming back with my rifle!"
    He then said that they were protected, and I couldn't shoot them. I was totally shocked since I was seeing them in every field around the Denver area.
    So what's up with it now? Is there a legal way to hunt these guys?

Trent
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
    I made my first visit to Co. last fall when my son got married in Denver. I'd never seen a PD until then. I'm use to shooting groundhogs back East, where 5 or 6 is a GOOD day!
    First thing I said to my son was "I'm coming back with my rifle!"
    He then said that they were protected, and I couldn't shoot them. I was totally shocked since I was seeing them in every field around the Denver area.
    So what's up with it now? Is there a legal way to hunt these guys?
    Your son was misinformed on the "protected" thing. They aren't protected, but there is a season on them for public lands. Private land is open year round. And obviously you can't shoot the ones in town due to laws that restrict firing a gun within city limits.

There are always exceptions though. It is possible that certain areas might be closed off to pdog shooting due to research. Pdogs are an important food source for a lot of animals and it is important that we don't wipe them out or we end up extincting other species as well. The black footed ferret is one of those species that was actually listed as EXTINCT at one time. By accident a small population of them was found and attempts to restore the species is under way.

Basic Member
    Awesome, I love CO.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Your son was misinformed on the "protected" thing. They aren't protected, but there is a season on them for public lands. Private land is open year round. And obviously you can't shoot the ones in town due to laws that restrict firing a gun within city limits.

There are always exceptions though. It is possible that certain areas might be closed off to pdog shooting due to research. Pdogs are an important food source for a lot of animals and it is important that we don't wipe them out or we end up extincting other species as well. The black footed ferret is one of those species that was actually listed as EXTINCT at one time. By accident a small population of them was found and attempts to restore the species is under way.
    thanks for the info. I'm calling Jr. tomorrow and telling him what he can get me for Christmas!