Thread: Ejector pin & spring

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Ejector pin & spring - New Info - Need Input

Are the Axis / Edge ejector assy. the same as the 10 & 110?

I need to replace the ejector spring in my Edge. While I have it out, I'll probably replace the ejector & pin, too.

I'm not sure if they're the same as the 10 & 110 bolt. Or, are they the same only a little different?

Thanks.

Frank in Fla
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 08-26-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Team Savage
    i would guess yes,being the bolt heads are he same

drybean

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Are the Axis / Edge ejector assy. the same as the 10 & 110?
    Frank in Fla
    Yes

Basic Member
    I suspected so....
    But, it's always best to go to those that know....

Thanks.

Frank in Florida

acemisser
    Midway sells these...I got my parts from them...careful you don't loose the spring..I put a baggie over it in case it gets away from you..Why do you need to change it anyway?

Basic Member
    My ejector spring lost it's springyness..... It won't toss the shell 3 bays over when i'm at the range, like my other rifles. It's a matter of co-ordination, really.... I flip up the bolt handle & pull back with enough momentum to allow enough time to get my hand right where the case will be. That is, of course, as long as the spring has enough tension.

My Edge doesn't have enough tension to hurl the spent case. It just kinda dribbles outta the reciever. It's been that way since I got it a few months ago. I'm just getting to where It's an inconvenience. Besides, I had other, more important modifications to deal with before I could concern myself with a menial task like ejector spring replacement.

Also, the last time i thought about replacing it, Mudway was out of them. It's all in the timing.

Thanks y'all.
    Frank in Fla

thomae
    Frank, have you tried removing the ejector and the spring and giving them and the hole a good cleaning?

I would be surprised if the spring had lost its springiness (elasticity) already.

It could be that you have dirt, grease, brass, crud, or whatever gumming up the hole and keeping the ejector from doing its job.

Basic Member
    Hey thomae....

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. I figured it had some spooge in the hole or something but, it was clean. All I can figure is maybe it was a bad spring to begin with.... as in when it was built. Maybe the guy that owned it before me did something stoopid before he pawned it? I don't know...
    I do know the spring is not straight & curly cue like normal spring. It's got a kink in the middle of it & it lost it's twang, therefore making it a twangless spring.
    I need to call Mudway this week to get a 25 caliber collet for my RCBS bullet puller so, I'll add a spring to the list.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Later y'all

Frank in Fla

You could also add a bit of travel to your pin so when it springs it can push further.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

acemisser
    sounds like some hot loads were put through it..Ishot some hot
    out of mine once and it caused the spring to colasp..serious..goodluck..

Basic Member
    Hey Ace -
    I thought that a possibility also but, this is the Edge I picked up from a pawn shop a few months ago. I had no indications of being used at all. There's always a little brass stain on the edge of the extractor or some on the bolt face. This was incredibly clean. I called Savage to get some info & I was told it was made in July of 2011. I think the guy that pawned it never fired it. I had to break in the barrel when I got it. I almost kinda think it may have been defective when it was made. The ejector was soft when I looked at it in the pawn shop.
    Ain't no worry.... It works..... kinda. It just doesn't work well. I have an old spring in my stash area but, it's a victim of "hot load syndrome". That one suffered a blown out primer. It didn't survive. And no, I don't know why I'm saving it....

Thanks again y'all.

Frank in Fla

Basic Member
    So, I get my order form MuDwAy for 3 ejector springs. I take the Axis / Edge bolt out & proceed to remove the ejector retaining pin, ejector pin & spring.

I come to find out the inside of the bolt head must have been bored with a chainsaw & finished ground with a rock.
    The inside of the bore is so rough I can't get the new spring to do its spring thing (ie - push the ejector pin out when tossing a spent case)...

The only things I have on hand are drill bits to clean it out with. If I use a .104" bit - twisted by hand to clean it out, I can still feel it's very "grabby" & I'm wondering.... If I rebore it out to .106" will it still function OK? The .106" bit is the next size up that I have on hand.

Anyone have any input, suggestions, advice, threats, innuendo..... anything? I'm all ears.... or eyes as the case may be.

Frank in Fla..... Hangin' on tight & ready to start the pumps.

Basic Member
    Make sure the spring doesn't have a sharp end to catch in the hole. I use a .101 drill bit and run it up and down with out twisting to remove the burr from the cross pin hole.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Thanks ....

I thought that to be a possibility but it feels like the inside of the hole is raggedy jaggedy from top to bottom. Just using the ejector pin I can feel it's rough.

I'll just go ahead & clean it up the best I can. Anything has to be better than it is.

Later.

Frank in Fla - Not quite under water - yet.

LabRat2k3
    Do you think that something like valve lapping compound on a metal rod that just fits the hole would be aggressive enough to polish it smooth? IDK, it's what I would try.

Basic Member
    Seems to be doing much better. I put a few drops of penetrating oil in the hole & manipulated it a few million times with a piece of brass. Lots of dark grey / blackish colored stuff came out. I rinsed & repeated the procedure 3 times. Seems to be a smooth as russian burlap now. A far sight better than it was.
    Must've been some kind of foreign matter in the hole. Looks clean & works smooth after cleaning & manipulation.

Looks like it's good to go..... Another quality job completed. Only 4832 left to go.

Thanks for the assist guys.

Frank in Fla.