Thread: 223 ejection issues

Basic Member

223 ejection issues

I recently put several of my rifles back to their original state, one was my Savage 11 in 223. Same barrel, bolt head, etc, as factory. I did use a steel extractor instead of the brass one.

Now my 223 has an ejection issue, it will eject loaded rounds every time, fast or slow. Empty brass every time, IF I move at medium or slow speed. If I work the bolt fast it will eject, ONLY if there is no other rounds in the magazine. If rounds are in the mag, and I work the bolt fast, the empty case drops on top of the other rounds in the receiver.

I filed down the ejector a bit, to no avail. I increased spring tension on the ejector, again to no avail. It has the steel extractor already. Very odd problem, to me.

Suggestions?

82boy
    Oddlly enough, I was with Sharp shooter shooting a match the other day, when someone had an extraction problem. I come to find out, that he started measuring the steel extractors, and found that they are out of speck, but the old copper extractors are in spec. Lately he has put the copper extractor in a few guns and fixed a lot of extraction problems. The fellow that was having extraction problems he put the copper extractor in his gun, and he shot all day without a problem.

Basic Member
    Thanks, I don't think I have any around but will get some on hand. Hopefully that fixes mine too. Interesting, that something made to fix a problem, makes it worse? Maybe?

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
    Thanks, I don't think I have any around but will get some on hand. Hopefully that fixes mine too. Interesting, that something made to fix a problem, makes it worse? Maybe?
    Savage quit making the copper extractors a few years ago.

Team Savage
    I have one if you need it,plus some .140 extactor balls

drybean