Thread: 1st Post: Request Your Guidance With a 111 Trigger that Won't Reset

martowski

1st Post: Request Your Guidance With a 111 Trigger that Won't Reset

Hi all! First post here as I am new to owning a Savage rifle. I just picked up two 111 rifles in 30-06, both are standard triggers (non-Accutrigger) and have factory synthetic stocks.

I purchased both in used but excellent condition, and dry fired both numerous times. I then decided to remove the actions from both to perform a good cleaning and adjust the trigger pull on both to around 3 1/2 pounds. The process went smoothly with both, and I was able to verify that both were still functioning and dry firing correctly before assembling back into their stocks.

One of the 111's went back in without a hitch and continues to function perfectly. However, the other will not reset the trigger when in the stock. If I take it out and work the bolt and dry fire as a barreled action only, it's fine. But once I get it back in the stock after working the bolt the trigger refused to budge.

Any idea what's happening? It seems odd that this is happening now since it was working fine before I took the actions out of the stocks. And, it still works fine when the action isn't in the stock. But put the action back in and nothing! Frustrating and hoping someone here can help. Thanks!

(BTW, I'm new to Savages but not new to firearms by any stretch of the imagination).

Team Savage
    switch stocks,that will conform your trigger adj.

drybean

Basic Member
    when you have the barrelled action out of the stock, turn it upside down with the trigger facing up and try cocking it. see if the trigger resets, if not you need to adjust the trigger. had that happen to me today on an older 110 3screw trigger. when rifle was in upright position it wouldn't reset the sear, take it out of the stock and it was fine. just got the rifle in today and was thinking something was wrong, that's all it was. had to readjust the trigger and all is fine. got it down to a nice 2+lb pull.

Could be a couple different things. I would swap stocks as mentioned above, sounds like the one is getting tweaked/streesed just enough when tightened to trip the trigger. A bedding job may be in order.

Basic Member
    I had a similar problem with the tupperware Stevens stock. Try only barely tightening the action screw near the trigger, then continue to gradually tighten it until the trigger stops working and back off a bit. That would prove the stock is interfering with the trigger and may get you by until you can remove material to get the proper clearance/relief.

martowski
    Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone. I'll try those things. I found it odd that it worked fine in the stock before I took it out, but to the point earlier I wonder if I'm tightening the stock screws down so tight that it's causing some friction. I'll also try working the action upside down while it's out of the stock. Will let you all know what happens.

Thanks again! Great to have such great support from other Savage owners!

martowski
    Problem solved! After confirming the action worked upside down I put it in the stock without the screws, and it still worked. I then tightened up the screw next to the magazine release and the action once again stopped resetting the trigger. I loosened it up and it worked again. I then tightened the screw next to the trigger guard, action still worked, and the tightened the screw in front of the magazine. Somehow, the order in which I tightened the screws seemed to make the difference as it's not working. Odd, but I guess it must just put pressure on certain parts doing it one way vs. the other.

Thanks!

Basic Member
    glad to hear you resolved the problem. sometimes it's just trial and error. good shooting!