Thread: Scope Bounce Question

Basic Member

Scope Bounce Question

So, the range has had quite an increase in activity with deer season approaching and I have been more aware of something you guys can tell me about. Looking through my scope, I have noticed that when the larger caliber's are fired on either side of me (300 Win Mag, 30-06, etc) there is a noticeable scope bounce - which I would guess is normal (can't say yes or no can only relate to my scope). What I don't think is normal is - the scope does not return to POA afterward, meaning I have to aquire the target again.

Is this normal? Just wondering - scope is a Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50 usually set at no more than 24x. To verify that it was not 'me' moving the setup, I viewed without touching the rifle setup, but just looked through the scope.

Thanks in advance...so much to learn, so many years wasted not enjoying all this

Dirk

Re: Scope Bounce Question

Sounds perfectly normal to me. The concussion is moving your rifle. This effect is even more noticeable if the adjacent shooters are using muzzle brakes. The distance between benches also makes a difference.

Basic Member

Thanks Dirk, I should have been more clear with my question..I do expect the movement, but expected everything to return back to where it was...ie return to zero of the POA.

Oh and Yeah, those muzzle brakes to move things around - lol, thought one guy was going to blow his spotting scope off the bench.

tbartley

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCTX
    Oh and Yeah, those muzzle brakes to move things around - lol, thought one guy was going to blow his spotting scope off the bench.
    :D :D :D That's funny!

Basic Member

I was shooting some groups with one of my rimfires. Most times at the covered range I go to they would put me away from any big boomers if possible. If they did have to put someone close to me they would make sure it wasn't anything too big.

I was sitting at the bench shooting my groups with only a set of muffs on when a guy setup next to me. The rifle he had only had a barrel of about 16" or so inches so I thought to myself it can't be anyting too big. While shooting I was placing my empty boxes on the left side of my bench and the guy was setup to my left.

I was concentrating on a shooting when something happened, not sure what. I thought my world had come to an end, I was stunned, eyes blurry and my ears were ringing. All those empty boxes flew from the left side of the bench off the right side and onto the concrete. Not sure what happened I looked over to the left at the guy who just setup thinking he had a kaboom. He looked fine so I stood up, still stunned, and stepped back trying to figure out what had just happened. As I was getting my composure it happened again, the guy to my left touched off another round creating a fireball the was atleast 12" in diameter and 18" long. This caused my ears to start ringing again. I put some plugs in, put the muffs back on and tried to shoot some more groups but couldn't because every time he touched off a round I would flinch. Every shot shifted everything on my bench to the right including my gun. I packed up my stuff knowing I wouldn't be able to shoot any more decent groups.

When the range was taking a break to change/pull targets I asked the guy what he was shooting. He was proud of his 7mm Ultra Mag that he had built as a brush gun. It had a 16" barrel and was the loudest, most earsplitting gun I have ever heard.

Dolomite

Don - LongRangeSupply

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCTX
    So, the range has had quite an increase in activity with deer season approaching and I have been more aware of something you guys can tell me about. Looking through my scope, I have noticed that when the larger caliber's are fired on either side of me (300 Win Mag, 30-06, etc) there is a noticeable scope bounce - which I would guess is normal (can't say yes or no can only relate to my scope). What I don't think is normal is - the scope does not return to POA afterward, meaning I have to aquire the target again.

Is this normal? Just wondering - scope is a Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50 usually set at no more than 24x. To verify that it was not 'me' moving the setup, I viewed without touching the rifle setup, but just looked through the scope.

Thanks in advance...so much to learn, so many years wasted not enjoying all this

Do any of the center fire guns you shoot drop back to the exact aiming point after shooting a round? None of mine do, but some are a lot closer than others.

Even with low recoiling rounds, unless your stock has a fore end that is parallel to the buttstock plus the buttstock has a long enough straight section to ride the bags under recoil it will virtually always move off your point of aim and probably won't return to where you had it before. You will need to move it back forward on the bags and reposition it every time.

Heavy recoiling guns depending on stock design will also jump up at the muzzle more than the soft kickers adding to this movement.

groupshooter22

The last time my buddy and I went to the range I had a real good group going and then he fired his rra in .223 and my Night Force BR shifted and I didnt shoot at my sighter and blew a sweet group because of it. Lesson learned I guess.

Basic Member

bit of an update...changed out the front bag no my Caldwell Rock, from the Caldwell to a Protektor bag and was really surprised at how much difference it made. Still a little movement when one of them boomers goes off...lol...but not like it was. Learned something.

oh and groupshooter, seems that happened this weekend was shooting with a buddy at the range and he had nice sweet group going...did not notice and we both fired at the same time, his dropped out the group at about 6 o'clock and was a good 1.5 inches down....opps!!