Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What size group possible with factory 12FV .223

possum1

Re: What size group possible with factory 12FV .223

Well yaw's got me all messed up now. I've got to figure out how to start whupping bullet's. How yaw catch them little booger's coming out the barrel so fast to whup em. Seriously though I've read varmital's thesis on barrel whup, does make sense to me. If all handloader's are like me your still trying to shoot the same hole. I'm still trying to catch them booger's though ;D

brianinca

>>>
    under .5 inch with every group some as low as .26 but that was only with one five shot group so might be luck. My question is what are other people getting for groups on a regular basis with their loads, not just a single occurance. I don't want to set my expectations too high and spend a lot of money experimenting with loads when I should be saving it for a new barrel/ rifle/ etc.
    >>>

Don't act like you're on dope. Seriously, a barrel, ANY barrel, that is under .5 MOA for EVERY group out of doors is shooting GREAT. Put 5 groups of 5 together, what are you talking about in terms of average group size?

Don't take the "I shot 5 shots into .015 inches at 100 yards" as anything other than a pinch test. As in, I looked into a bag of results and pinched the best one I could find.

If you want a picture of how hard it is to be truly scientific about statistical analysis, look at the garbage code the Brits put out for their global warming hockey stick; otherwise, just be pleased you can pull a .3 MOA group out of your nether regions every now and again.

My club's range is infamous amongst all the benchrest weenies for the goofy winds that they have to deal with, instead of 3 windflags they all have 9-12 out to 200 yards, and they delight in trying to dope out the results. Are you reading wind like that when you shoot?

Like I said, .5 MOA is damned good and be happy with it.

Regards,
    Brian in CA

PS MY 12FVSS in a B&C VarTac with my Zeiss and a cheesy Midway discount bipod will shoot .5's with all 4 223 recipes I handload, prone. My wife can't shoot prone (DD's) but her 10FP-LE1A shoots 3 of those loads .5 MOA as well (75 A-Max's no workee in a 20" tube).

WhitBri

Brian in CA
    That was my thoughts when starting this topic that I should just be happy with the load I have load up a bunch of them and shoot and quit wasting money experimenting with a rifle that has no better capabilities then a consistent .5. You are right about the wind, I try and shoot on calm days, under 10mph wind only, but that could be a lot of the difference in group size alone.
    Thanks for everyone's input on this topic.

basshusker

69SMK at 2.33 to 2.34 oal over 26 of varget. One pretty hole. Fed 205, LC 09 brass
    55 Nosler BTs at 2.33 other stuff the same. Same pretty hole but doesn't do quite as well in the wind. Super fun if you are shooting at stuff other than paper.

75G Hornady BTHP 23.8 of 8208 XBR with BR4 primers. They 70s, 73s and 75s do better with the thicker primer cups of the BR4s and the hotter loads in my Savage 12 LRPV

fatdaddy

>>>>PS MY 12FVSS in a B&C VarTac with my Zeiss and a cheesy Midway discount bipod will shoot .5&#39;s with all 4 223 recipes I handload, prone. My wife can&#39;t shoot prone (DD&#39;s) but her 10FP-LE1A shoots 3 of those loads .5 MOA as well (75 A-Max&#39;s no workee in a 20" tube).<<<<<<

Posting some pix of the DD&#39;s Would be a fine addition to this conversation... ;D Bill

1Shot

Quote Originally Posted by fatdaddy

Posting some pix of the DD&#39;s Would be a fine addition to this conversation... ;D Bill
    ...I don&#39;t know about his DD&#39;s but this might be a good fill in..lol..

fatdaddy

Now THATS what im talkin about... Now I cant shoot prone ..... Bill

steveinwv

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,29625.0.html

Model 10FCP-K .223. A good Model 12 should do the same.

1Shot

...On a good calm day out of my VLP that I only shoot every now and then...I have other guns to play with...lol..
    Nosler 69&#39;s, Lapua, 25grs Varget, 205M&#39;s with alittle jump.. ..
    ...5@100...

[img width=600 height=449]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/sqek/nos.jpg[/img]

Basic Member

A box stock 12FV did take the inaugual IDDSA Championship.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,26079.0.html
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12