Thread: More details on the sporter accustock?

jb177

More details on the sporter accustock?

Looking to get a weather warrior in 270 and can't get my hands on one with the new accustock locally. Matter of fact, nobody has a single accustock rifle. I've read about them and looked at pics online. My question is can the "wedge" be removed in order to fit future aftermarket stocks or will all aftermarket stocks have to accomodate the wedge?

I can't tell in the pics if it's part of the recoil lug or separate. If it's separate, then I assume it can be removed. I like the idea of accustock, just don't want to limit my aftermarket choices down the road. I want this rifle to stay with me for years and not wake up 5 yrs from now and it be viewed as a marketing ploy like many other "new great things".

Another question, does the accustock'd rifle have the same bolt pattern as other new actions? Are they interchangable?

It'd be nice to hear from somebody with actual experience with the accustock.

82boy

Re: More details on the sporter accustock?

The accu-stock rifle uses the new style bolt release, that is located in the trigger guard. the accu-stock guns do not have the flat side cut into the receiver for the bolt release. The inletting is different so it will limit your stock choices.

Yes the accu-weds can be removed, and I highly recommend it because the accu-wedge places stress on the action and causes flyer's. IMO you would be better off just get a non-accu stocked rifle.

jb177

So... Basically it's a stock and action combo. Accustock won't fit any non-accustock actions (regardless of action screw spacing) b/c of different bolt release. Does that mean an accustock action is forever doomed to fit accustocks?

Is the action screw spacing the same on both actions (4.40)

I just don't like the existing savage stocks, guess I could pony up a few extra $ and get an aftermarket assuming I can find one with

82boy

Yes the accu-stock actions are diferent. Yes they have the same bolt spacing. You can get a Shaprt Shooters Supply stock, they could inlet it for an accu-stock.

GunnerD

I just bought a $199 Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 at Academy. I had it in my head that I would eventually upgrade it with a take-off Accustock from someone upgrading. So is that basically impossible?

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerD
    I just bought a $199 Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 at Academy. I had it in my head that I would eventually upgrade it with a take-off Accustock from someone upgrading. So is that basically impossible?
    Yes, unless you can find some one that could cut the bolt release in the side of the stock, or if you got a new style bolt release you could go that route but you would have a big open hole on the right side of the receiver. You would also need to change the recoil lug, for they are different. they look like a Remington lug.

GunnerD

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerD

Yes, unless you can find some one that could cut the bolt release in the side of the stock
    , or if you got a new style bolt release you could go that route but you would have a big open hole on the right side of the receiver. You would also need to change the recoil lug, for they are different. they look like a Remington lug.
    Could this be done elegantly with a dremel tool and a steady hand?

82boy

I would say it is possible but it would be a lot of work.