Thread: Laminate Bench stock

lwink

Laminate Bench stock

Anybody ever gotten a stock from this place:

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/Thumbhol...%20Version.htm

I'm looking to pick up a decent laminate stock to convert my .308 from a varmint gun to more of a bench gun, but want to keep the price around $200. I like the style/looks of this particular stock, but am not familiar with the vendor. Any other suggestions out there for similar stocks in this price range?

Re: Laminate Bench stock

Do yourself a favor and spend the extra 100 to get one from SSS.

These require alot of finish work(inletting, sanding, sanding, more sanding,etc). They also do not come with pillars installed, so that'll be an extra cost to you. If you dont mind doing this work they are very nice looking stocks, but for the out-of-the-box difference between these and the SSS there is really no contest IMO.
    BTW, the Richards stock i ordered took 16 weeks to get, then it took me 4 or 5 more to finish. But I did really like it once it was done.

For more reviews just do a search on here for Richards Stocks.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

lwink

Thanks Mike, will search them out... didn't even know they were called Richards. You're right about the finishing time though -- after installing pillars and investing so much to get it ready to clear coat I probably won't come out ahead moneywise or time wise -- good insight!

stevec

lwink, I ordered one for my sons mauser. It looked like it had been profiled with a dull hatchet, Inletting was no where near done.

It turned out very nice but it took a lot of hours to get it there.

Steve

lwink the site you mention is stockey's I believe and he is a sponsor here. Why not pm him and ask, I have 2 of his and it depends on the make of the stock as to the finish work. The boyds took for ever, the SK was only the time to put in the pillars and then the finishing time.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

lwink

I have looked at stocky's, but I believe this link goes to Richard's Microfit Stocks which is based out of California if I'm not mistaken.

pd721el

Here is a 10/22 varmint style stock that I got from Richards Mircofit. It is a AA and had been shaped with a chainsaw. I had ordered extra wood in the forearm, and it was way more then I needed (shouldn't complain about that). Oh yeah, it was ordered with no spacer and straight not angled tip cap. Any way it took 14 weeks to get and a few to finish. Then the gunsmith cracked it while bedding it. > He ordered me a new one, and 14 weeks later Richards they said it was never ordered or they lost it, and they would put it on the list. Which meant 14 more weeks. The smith fixed the crack and paid me for the stock in full. Anyway this is how it looks. do your self a favor and order a SSS or Joel Russo.
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii326/pd721el/Picture755.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii326/pd721el/Picture756-1.jpg[/img]

Nice lookin piece of wood, really dresses up the rifle.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

ive worked with two of the richards stocks, neither my own, and i can say that they both appeared to be carved out with a dull chainsaw. One was just like the one you linked to, the other was myrtlewood. The stock in ? is a really big sized stock and we took a ton of material off of it just to get it to not look like a block. the raised cheek piece was so tall the bolt wouldnt even come out of the action. After a ton of sanding and finishing they turned out to be respectable looking stocks but beware theres a lot of work involved. in my opinion they took way to long over the expected delivery and there are much better stocks available (SSS) for not much more.
    added...
    heres a pic of the stock finished
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/ebk04/d1.jpg[/img]
    [
    mdl 12 .223, bvss/"bondo" stock, completely polished,devcon bedded, sig zee rings, 36x40 leupold

Ruthless

Speaking from experience >
    Just mailed back the Stock from Richard's exactly the same as being discussed, the finish was bad with very deep tooling marks,
    the fit was no where close to "advertised" 99%......SSS here I come ;D

Team Savage

Can't say you wern't warned! But then again, they still have lots of different designs to choose from, if you know ahead of time what to expect.
    Any links to "tool shaprening" and "action fitting" videos we could send them? ???
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.