Thread: Range day

Basic Member

Range day

Took three Savages to the range today. Two of them as deer rifles, third as varmint. The 2 were 308 and 30-06. The 308 did as expected, since I used it to get my deer with last season. I had played with some other loads after season last year, so my zero was off, but it came back to it's normal 1.25" CTC with the Nosler 150gr Etips.

I did get some fantastic groups with near top level loads and the Barnes 130gr TTSX. I will explore those in greater detail after season. If todays results hold true, I will switch bullets for next year.

The '06 Did about the same with 1.25-1.5" groups using the Barnes 168gr TTSX. The '06 was a barrel swap and I THOUGHT I had gone over everything closely, but it wouldn't feed from the blind mag. It was a detachable mag before. I switched to blind mag to allow me to use it while working on finding a nice laminated hunting stock for it. I want to eventually get a magnum contour, fluted barrel to go with the nice stock, I think. In the meantime I need to figure out the feeding problem. seems all the rounds sit too low for the bolt to pick them up. Not sure yet if it's a lip adjustment or what.

Gun three was my 223 using the little 36gr non leads varmint bullets. I had about a 70% failure to eject. Real bummer there. After being so happy at almost never having that problem. Will have to explore that issue as well. It fed perfectly, so maybe swap bolts with the 30-06???? I know that doesn't work just kidding.

Overall it was a good day. Seems no matter how careful I am at home, when I go to the range, some issue shows up. Better there than in the field I guess.

Basic Member
    Any day at the range is better than a day being stuck behind a desk :) Sounds like the deer should be worried.

Basic Member
    Yea, the range is about 8 miles from Morro Bay (Ca coast) and 20 miles from home. When I arrived, the temp was 71 deg, with 10-15kt breeze, when I left it was 78. Closer to home (30 min drive) it was 103, yuck.

Any day spent at the range AND in those temps is always a good day. Gonna work out the feeding issue today on the '06, and plan on using it for this season, which is already in progress but I am not going out in this heat. Today it MIGHT stay below 100, will see. Last year I ended up waiting till early Sept, for the same reason. Season is too stinking early in this zone.

Basic Member
    Good luck! The temperature has been cranking this summer in my area as well. Lots of 90°, which is pretty darn hot for us. Jackson, Wyoming... 6200 feet. We have an early cow elk season opening this Saturday and man we'll have to move fast if one hits the ground, or else the meat will spoil.

Good shooting!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Dontcha just love when you can go to the range when most every one else is at work?

I make a full effort to play hookie from work at least one half a day every week. That's in addition to my regular weekend shooting sessions.

Then, after work & after diner, it's off to the shop to work on cleaning brass, making ammo, touching up & tweaking guns....

Awwww.... I tell ya it's tuff to be a man with responsibility these days. I'd give almost anything to be a young, carefree, frivolous young fella again.......... NOT!!!!

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Well, I got my feeding issue resolved, somehow the mag well box wasn't attached to the receiver Sure missed that one during the assembly stage.

On the ejection issue and the 223, it will eject loaded rounds every time, fast or slow. Empty brass every time, IF I move at medium or slow speed. If I work the bolt fast it will eject, ONLY if there is no other rounds in the magazine. If rounds are in the mag, and I work the bolt fast it drops on top of the other rounds in the receiver.

I filed down the ejector a bit, to no avail. I increased spring tension on the ejector, again to no avail. It has the steel extractor already.

Suggestions?