Thread: Millett Picatinny Rail

1ShotKing

Millett Picatinny Rail

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a Millett Picatinny rail for my Stevens 200. It came with allen head screw, and I'm going to replace them with TORX since they are a more reliable design. I have read that most bases come with screws of different lengths, with the longer one for the rear. The Millett came with screws of the same length. Should I get longer for the rear? I measured the amount of screw beneath the base to be 0.134", is this enough? Here's a picture

Also, I understand that the thread pitch is 6-48 correct?

Another thing, before I get everything permanently attached, if there base is the same thickness at the front and rear , then it is a 0moa base correct? I measured front and back to be 0.434". I will be shooting a 22-250 from 100-600 yards tops so I don't think I need a 20 moa base. The scope I will be getting is a Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x40.

Thanks to all who reply,

1ShotKing

skypilot
    You should be ok. You just don't want a long screw in front that would seat deep enough to bind or contact the bolt.

The Tactical won't have enough adjustment for use with a 20 MOA base and you should have enough come-ups for about 800yds without it.

thomae
    Just checked:
    The Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x40 mil/mil scope has almost 22 mils total elevation adjustment.
    The Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x40 MOA model has 80 MOA of elevation adjustment.

FWIW, I own both those scopes. Those are click tested with my scopes, not just advertised values.
    Last edited by thomae; 08-14-2012 at 01:32 PM.

skypilot
    1shotking, do this... take the bullet, load etc. that you wish to shoot, at the longest you wish to shoot, and look at it's trajectory at that longest distance in bullet drop inches and drop in MOA.

Then take the ACTUAL adjustment range of the sope you have and divide by 2 then add 20 to that for the 20 MOA base. Example 80 MOA as Thomae said= 40 up and 40 down(advertised) probable more like 30-35 up and down. So 35/2=17.5 + the 20 MOA base =37.5 IF the scope centers midway between the full adjustment top to bottom range which is rare on less expensive scopes.

If you find all of the above is true on your scope then it will reach close to 1000yds on the max come ups with maybe a 62gr(for the BC and wind) and zeroed for around 200yds.

So you shouldn't necessarily need a 20 MOA rail. I have the Bushnell on a tactical rig and it didn't have enough elevation knob adjustment to use the 20 MOA.

Hope this helps you decide.

1ShotKing
    Hey guys thanks for the help. I had a look at it all and my max range is gonna be 600 yards for a while so I think I'll be fine with the 0 moa base. I am actually gonna swap the millett base for a Weaver and Weaver Tactical 6 hole rings.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_ba...catinny_rings/
    http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_ba...lti-slot_base/

These should work well together I assume? I work at an outdoor shop we sell Savage rifles and weaver, millett, bushnell etc so it's no trouble for me to swap them and I'll get a decent deal. Let me know what you think, thanks.

When attaching the base put the screw closest to the barrel in first and just snug it up.Grab the back of the base and if you can wiggle it,the front screw is too long. Or else just measure the hole depth with the tail of a dial caliper.Then put them all in with a dab of lock-tite and go shooting.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

rdamours
    Overall how do you like this rail. I just bought one and haven't oped it yet. I like the longer rail so I can move my scopes around so I can have more or less eye relief based on the scope.

1ShotKing
    I ended up selling the rail to someone else and buying a Weaver one. Overall it has better fit and finish. The first time I mounted scope rings to the Millett rail it left dents in the rail, didn't really impress me too much.